Humming Noise on Mt. Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew1024

Jan 29, 2008
Central NJ
Boy, that this beast put out some heat! Anyway, while running the unit, I hear a humming almost like a vibrating sound in the background. Dealer says its just air in the unit? Sounds like hmm, hmm, hmm every few seconds or so. Not very loud but noticeable nonetheless. Thoughts?

Can you tell which side the hum is coming from?

If you hear the hum on the left side facing the stove I would bet it is the convection fan.

I had this problem and it eventually got worse. The dealer replaced it and I have not had further problems with it.

swalz said:
could be when the auger is turning to feed pellets.

I agree...try turning the heat setting (pellet feed) higher or lower and see if the time between "hums" increases or decreases.

Is this a brand new unit? If not, could be convection fan w/ some dust buildup on the fan blades causing it to be slightly out of balance and causing a resonance.

Status
Not open for further replies.