Hung Up Maple Tree Saver Winch Question with new picture.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Any ideas on how to bring this down the safest way possible. Position number 1 I would like to put a tree saver with a d-shackle, position number 2 I am thinking about a tree saver with a snatch block and position 3 put the rhino do you think that would create enough uplift to bring down the tree behind number 1.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0504.jpg
    100_0504.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 505
  • 100_0505.jpg
    100_0505.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 474
  • 100_0503-2.jpg
    100_0503-2.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 230
I guess you can't pull it out with a rope and a truck. I would clean up those small Branch's from the base to 3/4 the way up. Be careful that none are under pressure or supporting in anyway. Than I would slowly undercut. Be very careful of it rolling. work your way from a safe comfortable spot. I've been doing it a long time and you get a feel for it. Hope that help, be safe.

For starters it looks like you could cut off some faily large branches. I'd start by cutting anything that could be safely cut without causing the tree to shift (anyting not bearing the weight of the tree), including branches not caught up in the hang-up, and any of the top that I can reach beyond the hang up. Also, if I could reach the trunk of the tree holding the leaner, I'd think about felling it above the place where the leaner is resting on it. This would lighten the load when you finally follow the instructions you get from somebody who knows what they're doing.

Winch at a 90 degree angle.

SolarAndWood said:
Winch at a 90 degree angle.

You think my 3000 lb winch will handle that, I could try to use a snatch block to double my pulling power. It's a freakin mess up there, nothing down real big just alot of tops plus some good size pine.

zap

And a big old notch cut in it, if not all the way through.

pull one at a time you may get lucky and free them all.

Wood Duck said:
For starters it looks like you could cut off some faily large branches. I'd start by cutting anything that could be safely cut without causing the tree to shift (anyting not bearing the weight of the tree), including branches not caught up in the hang-up, and any of the top that I can reach beyond the hang up. Also, if I could reach the trunk of the tree holding the leaner, I'd think about felling it above the place where the leaner is resting on it. This would lighten the load when you finally follow the instructions you get from somebody who knows what they're doing.
I'm not sure if that last sentence was a dig, but we pretty much said the same thing.

wood spliter said:
Wood Duck said:
I'm not sure if that last sentence was a dig, but we pretty much said the same thing.

Thanks for the help guys, I wil clean up the area then cut the limbs so I can try to winch it down if that works great if not I'll go to plan B.

zap

zapny said:
if that works great if not I'll go to plan B.

You can always count on time and those north country winds.

wood spliter said:
Wood Duck said:

Sorry, wasn't a dig. When I wrote my reply I thought mine was the first one. You beat me to it.

If you can get the trunk sectioned up a bit, you may be able to set up your snatch block on a tree to the butt side of the leaner and winch the remainder away/out of the teree it's hung up on

Regardless......... BE CAREFUL!

I'd probably start at the but end, get as far up as you can to make things easier pn the winch.....but cant see it real well from the pics.

Zap and other posters, please forgive me but those type are the easiest things to cut. I would hardly even look at the danged thing and just start cutting. Actually, if I could fell most trees so they landed like that I really wouldn't mind at all.

Hi -

I was cutting with an old timer yesterday (80+) he slid a 4' chunk of solid decked pallet in near the butt. Then cut through so the new butt would land on the pallet. Then he's going ot try dragging it down with a tractor. If not, we'll rig with cable and snatch blocks.

Looks like some nice wood.

ATB,
Mike

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap and other posters, please forgive me but those type are the easiest things to cut. I would hardly even look at the danged thing and just start cutting. Actually, if I could fell most trees so they landed like that I really wouldn't mind at all.

+1, agreed, start at the bottom and start undercutting about halfway through to release/relieve some of the tension. I would do the undercuts for about 5 or 6 blocks. You should feel the tree tension slack, then pick one section and cut all the way through from the bottom up..
Safety first.

I'm most definitely not the best guy for taking down trees, but this one looks pretty easy . . . start doing undercuts at the base and slowly work my way up to the top.

firefighterjake said:
I'm most definitely not the best guy for taking down trees, but this one looks pretty easy . . . start doing undercuts at the base and slowly work my way up to the top.

1. Try to winch it down
2. V notch the top then under cut it/ this worked pretty good on a cherry in a similar position.

zap

Here is one I cut that was similar to that. I just started undercutting a round off at a time from the stump until I reached the fork and cut it. Then the limbs can be dragged back out of the other trees if needed.
IMG_4780.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.