Hung Up Maple/Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is a Maple hung up on two smaller trees, any thoughts on getting this down. My first thought would be trying to winch it where it is broken off the main tree.

I just added another picture of the back side of the maple.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1692.jpg
    100_1692.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 446
  • 100_1693.jpg
    100_1693.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 460
  • 100_1699.jpg
    100_1699.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 356
Zap, I have a pine that is similar. These type scare the wits out of me so I'll get the neighbor's tractor or winch it; probably the tractor will win out here though. On the other hand, it looks like if you wait for a good windy day that thing just might fall all by itself. I had one last winter hang like that and I waited. Two or three days later (or something like that) it was down, thanks to Mother Nature.

Drop that Pine tree right on the Maple. Two fer the price of one

I would throw a rope over it and pull it out with a tractor or 4x4 truck. If that didn't work I'd think of a plan B.

mtcates said:
I would throw a rope over it and pull it out with a tractor or 4x4 truck. If that didn't work I'd think of a plan B.

The trail is not wide enough for the truck so it looks like winching and rope will have to do the trick. The big pine will stay I have enough to clean up. I did a similar one with the pole saw and it worked out fine, I'll take care of whats down first and like Sav said leave it for mother nature for the winter.

zap

Good call zap...better safe that sorry. I'm sure that'll blow down in storm this winter.

Skier76 said:
Good call zap...better safe that sorry. I'm sure that'll blow down in storm this winter.

If not I'll have to call Solar who has that 60 inch bar.

zap

zapny said:
If not I'll have to call Solar who has that 60 inch bar.

zap

That's what I was thinking!!!

Billy

You don't have to keep egging me on, I'm keeping an eye out for the first opportunity. The biggest cut on the tree I got the other night was maybe 30". I asked the tree guys about the bar. First they asked, what would you do with that? Second, they said everyone they know runs Stihl. I hung my head and went back to loading the trailer. Something tells me they aren't letting me run a saw on their job anyway.

Kinda like a cat with 9 lives....If you cant winch it walk away!

Status
Not open for further replies.