Hunker down for 'snowmaggedon 2015' fellow New Englanders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DMKNLD

All Weather Channel and media hype aside, this looks to be a long duration event, with blizzard warnings posted for most of New England, and 2' or more snow predicted.

Fellow New Englander's need to hunker down through Wednesday AM and avoid any unnecessary travel risks.

If you have to be out, have a winter survival kit in your vehicle, a full tank of gas, charged cell phone, etc. http://readywisconsin.wi.gov/winter/HowToMakeAKit.asp

Most hearty New Englanders know the drill, but with no significant storms to speak of so far this winter, it is worth repeating.

Unfortunately, there will be preventable fatalities from this potentially history - making storm before it's all said and done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we get a grazing blow from this one, unlike the three feet in Snowmaggedon. Hang in there New Englanders.

Just topped off all my fuel cans giving me 4 days of generator run time. The lines are already forming at the gas stations with folks topping off their cars and gas cans. The grocery store was nuts today. At least folks are getting prepared...........

Reactions: Flammam
I'm good. Snowblower all set with plenty of gas. A plow guy on stand by just in case and my motorhome is full because I use the generator in it to power my house. I can run 10 days straight if I have to. Bring it on!

One more public service message, courtesy of the 'pellet stove Paramedic'........

Check on your elderly or disabled neighbors ! We just had a 'Meals on Wheels' delivery team in our nearby community that undoubtedly saved the life of an 90 y/o gentleman, who they found outside after he fell on his porch, and was exposed to temps in the teens for at least 3 hours.

'Neighbors helping neighbors' is more important than ever when a storm like this cranks up.

One more public service message, courtesy of the 'pellet stove Paramedic'........

Check on your elderly or disabled neighbors ! We just had a 'Meals on Wheels' delivery team in our nearby community that undoubtedly saved the life of an 90 y/o gentleman, who they found outside after he fell on his porch, and was exposed to temps in the teens for at least 3 hours.

'Neighbors helping neighbors' is more important than ever when a storm like this cranks up.
Ha! That was a relative of mine that was delivering the meals on wheels meal and found the 90 year old man.

Yeah it's not looking good. I've been planning for the last month to buy a generator, went out early yesterday to get it and when I got back from TSC my wife told me "they're saying there might be a blizzard on Tuesday." So, at least I can run the pellet stove and a couple of lights, even though there's no transfer switch yet. But I am in the 'red zone" so even if the electricity stays on, it's gonna be a ton of cleanup after this one, no doubt.

And please everyone, be safe. We had a fire fatality here in town Friday night, and the unofficial cause was combustibles too close to a wood stove. Keep your guard up.

Cleaned the stove, filled the snow blowers & gas cans. Plenty of pellets on hand! Looking at 1-2'

image.jpg

Ha! That was a relative of mine that was delivering the meals on wheels meal and found the 90 year old man.

I was just reading one of the local on-line news feeds, mepellet, and it said this gentleman was 99 years old !
http://wgme.com//news/features/feat...derly-saves-mans-life-1545.shtml#.VMWtWv4n7LU

That's one tough Maine-ah ! Kudos to your relative, who I've seen at the transfer station on occasion where he works.

Stay warm and be safe out there, brother!

Uggh, the news people are basically telling people to panic. These storms s***. <>

Sure glad I'm not driving for a living at the moment.

I was working for a company that does deliveries all over Maine, they refused point blank to cancel deliveries in weather like this, I was getting a little cheesed off with them over this and other things, but in the end I left there for personal reasons, but anyway, those of you that drive to make money, don't venture out, stay at home and live to fight another day.

Stay warm people, see you all on the other side of this crap storm.

I picked up a couple of cans of gas to keep the generator and snow blower running. I fired off both just to make certain they are running. Picked up a couple of bags of pellets to add to the stash. Did my food shopping the other day on my way home from work. So the cupboards are full. I even called my dispatch and told them I might be able to see them on Thursday. I work on Nantucket and there's no way I'm getting stuck out there.

I'n right in the line of fire. 12-24 + inches. They are saying 2-3 feet and with wind we can have snow drifts of 5-7 feet. It's ugly.
But, the snowblower is all gassed up, cars in the garage. got plenty of diesel for the generator and plenty of kerosene for the backup heat (my pellet stove and generator dont get along well).
Even gave the stove an extra good cleaning today, LBT, air compressor, wire brushed and vacuumed.
also got the john deere snow plow on the tractor and ready for action. I'd say bring it on but I really dont want to have to use my arsenal. It would be nice if the whole mess just blew out to sea!

Omg the sky is falling. talk about hype and doom. It's snow we live in New England deal with it!

Yes, its just snow but our snow is usually measured in inches, not feet. It interrupts my daily routine, work life and driving is a pain in the butt. Also try buying milk eggs or bread anywhere in the storms path. The stores are wiped out. Tuesday morning I expect thousands of people will have called out of work and be home enjoying their french toast.

Omg the sky is falling. talk about hype and doom. It's snow we live in New England deal with it!
Yep I agree. It's just snow - power outages aside - 2-3 days all will be well again. Plus the hype boosts the economy!

I was just reading one of the local on-line news feeds, mepellet, and it said this gentleman was 99 years old !
http://wgme.com//news/features/feat...derly-saves-mans-life-1545.shtml#.VMWtWv4n7LU

That's one tough Maine-ah ! Kudos to your relative, who I've seen at the transfer station on occasion where he works.

Stay warm and be safe out there, brother!
I thought I remembered 99. Yes he loves his job there at the transfer station. His house burned down just before Christmas too... Very sad. Very nice man.

All the media hype/panic around here started after they all got the Blizzard of 1978 wrong. Woke up that day expecting to find 6" not 26" and over 3 feet in Mass. Ever since it's mega hype before every storm. No station has "weather" anymore. It's all storm center, storm tracker, storm central, etc.

Funny how on Fri there was no mention of this storm, then during the day Sat it's "a blizzard is coming!" .

Sam

I'm smack in the middle of the forecasted jackpot area. 24 - 30" of snow with winds approaching 70mph.

All the media hype/panic around here started after they all got the Blizzard of 1978 wrong. Woke up that day expecting to find 6" not 26" and over 3 feet in Mass. Ever since it's mega hype before every storm. No station has "weather" anymore. It's all storm center, storm tracker, storm central, etc.

Funny how on Fri there was no mention of this storm, then during the day Sat it's "a blizzard is coming!" .

Sam

The ability to more accurately predict meteorological events and impacts has certainly improved since 1978, but obviously weather prediction is still as much of an 'art as it is a science'.

Add to that an urban population that has likely doubled in the storm impacted area since 1978, and one can see why an appropriate emergency management response needs to be more than just getting people to buy more bread and milk ahead of a storm.

And when the National Weather Service (who generally stay above the fray of media frenzy), issues Blizzard Warnings from Maine to New Jersey, impacting 29 million people, and costing the large metro areas projected to be affected a million dollars for every inch of snow that falls, it certainly warrants preparation and planning, but not paranoia.

In my 30 yr EMS / rescue career, the people we invariably have to rescue in storms like this are the people who end up upside down (or worse) in a snowdrift, who were "just out driving around to see what it was like out", or someone who runs out of their home oxygen in the middle of the storm. failing to plan ahead for their medical needs.

Invariably, when we ask them if they knew a storm was coming, they say, "Well, yeah, but I didn't think it would be THIS bad."

So, if some Weather Channel hype puts some FOG (fear of God) into those who need it, and keeps them safe at home with their extra food, supplemental power source, and their medical supplies safely at hand, then the heightened media awareness was worth it, IMO.

Finally for once my area will not see feet of snow! 1-3" forecast here for today and another 3" tomorrow. Going to be cold, but no real snow.

I wish you all the best of luck and the warmest of houses. Stay safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.