Hunters - Red dot scopes for a crossbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm looking at getting a crossbow for deer hunting. Some come with red dot scopes. I'm not exactly how this works and if red dot is a particular brand or if several companies make them? Are they all the same? Some better than others?

If you are willing to spend a decent amount of money the eotec and bushnell holosight are the best for the money...you can get a holosight for about 200-300. The difference is the size of the dot. Cheap red dots at the store for 50 bucks are a big dot and usually not real crisp. The holosight has the dot with a donut of death circle :~O If all your shots are 50 yards max...either will do. I put the holo on a beretta neus and can hit a inch square at 100 yards in a pistol...the dot would cover 4 times that area on a cheapy. I run the cheapys on my ruger 10-22. One thing is you get what you pay for so the cheapy may fail when you need it??? Also the cheap ones eat batteries much much faster! Its all in how much you want to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.