Hunting for trees to cut in my woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Reactions: albert1029
white birch, maple, hickory, sweetgum, poplar, and species of red oak.

Be careful on those bowed snags there's a lot of energy stored there

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
white birch, maple, hickory, sweetgum, poplar, and species of red oak.

Be careful on those bowed snags there's a lot of energy stored there
Thanks ill be carefull! You seem to know alot about tree types!i got alot to learn.

You've got a good mix post some pics of the progress.
Closer pics of the rounds will be easier to ID

Reactions: ScotO
Reactions: albert1029
lots of good stuff there, Stanley! Like Basod said, be careful with those bowed blowdowns......lots of potential energy in some of them. with the proper undercutting and top-wedging technique, those big leaners can be brought down relatively safely. Just be extra careful.

I wish I had some of those big boulders and that stone wall. I could do some major landscaping around that house with all that stone!
That wall has probably been there since colonial times.......

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
My place looks similar many trees bowed. I can cut a standing tree easily but never attempted one bowed. Where can I find how to do this. At least fifty trees that are bowed or the whole root ball and tree fell over. Any help would be appreciated. I am a young 63YO with a wife that I don't want anywhere near me when I am cutting. She can split but it scares me when I am felling.

My place looks similar many trees bowed. I can cut a standing tree easily but never attempted one bowed. Where can I find how to do this. At least fifty trees that are bowed or the whole root ball and tree fell over. Any help would be appreciated. I am a young 63YO with a wife that I don't want anywhere near me when I am cutting. She can split but it scares me when I am felling.
Do a google search on the net, you can also go over to Youtube. But, alot of IDIOTS post videos on there too. Best thing I can tell you in a nutshell is to look at the tree very carefully, to try and see where the most potential energy is stored. Every tree/job has it's own circumstances and risks, so take your time and be very careful. Think about the 'physics' of the job at hand.....

Don't forget to leave a few trees for the wildlife to live in. They need those trees for homes!

Matt

Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
Don't forget to leave a few trees for the wildlife to live in. They need those trees for homes!

Matt
Good point! most of my wood comes from fallen or dead trees.we have lots of heavy vegatation in the woods for animals and i leave the rotting and a few dead standing trees alone for animals who prefer them/

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Anyone having any problems with Oriental bittersweet vines invading the area making it a pain to take down some trees.I remember a few years ago when i took down some trees that would not fall because these darn vines kept the trees up.I spend alot of extra man hours getting rid of those vines just to get a tree to come down.

2,4-D will take care of them. snip the vine and dunk the end going to the roots into the bottle of 2,4-D. They will die. I've found it works best when the plant is going into dormancy, and not there yet, but it may still work this year.

Matt

I've just looked at the first set of pictures. Looks like a lot of very easy cutting there. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.