Hunting Shack stove help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about the stove requirements but be sure that the stove pipe including the elbow is at least 18" away from anything combustible. The chimney pipe needs at least 2" clearance from combustibles and it will need to be chased upstairs. You probably could do this creatively by making an expanded metal guard with an air gap, that surrounds the pipe.

I'm not sure about the stove requirements but be sure that the stove pipe including the elbow is at least 18" away from anything combustible. The chimney pipe needs at least 2" clearance from combustibles and it will need to be chased upstairs. You probably could do this creatively by making an expanded metal guard with an air gap, that surrounds the pipe.

Thanks for the tips. Can you explain more about being chased? I'm rather sure we kept 2" clearance away from any of the pipe.
Should a guy do anything with the hole cut through the ceiling/first floor? Does it need to be shielded with something such as tin or something?

That elbow and the supporting post near it will actually be moving so it'll be 18" away from anything combustible

The pipe is supposed to go through a metal firestop when it passes through the floor. You'll probably have to disassemble the chimney pipe temporarily if this has not already been done. A chase is just a protective box around the pipe. It can be made of wood as long as it honors the 2" clearance requirement. Some folks put a vent grille a the top and bottom to scavenge heat off the pipe.

Thanks for the tips. Can you explain more about being chased? I'm rather sure we kept 2" clearance away from any of the pipe.
Should a guy do anything with the hole cut through the ceiling/first floor? Does it need to be shielded with something such as tin or something?

That elbow and the supporting post near it will actually be moving so it'll be 18" away from anything combustible

Is that a woodburning stove? Hard to tell from the photo...

I was thinking an Ashley or US Stove circulator.

It's a wood burning stove with some sort of thermostat contraption. My grandpa was sure it was a good quality one so I didn't question his old person wisdom

It's a wood burning stove with some sort of thermostat contraption. My grandpa was sure it was a good quality one so I didn't question his old person wisdom
well i wouldn't say good quality but they can be decent heaters. Just keep an eye on it they are built very ightly and are not very durable

Status
Not open for further replies.