Hurricane Arthur tree falls in my hometown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

I am certain this didn't make the US news but I feel it was worthy of passing on.

During the landfall of tropical storm Arthur, strong winds hit Fredericton New Brunswick. Fredericton is (was) known for all it's mature oak, elm and ash trees. Well that storm took a bite out of all the trees. Since the leaves were still in prime season, they acted as sails. See the below link and attached pictures..

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/newbrunswick/fredericton-tallies-tree-damage-from-storm-arthur

trees.jpg downed-tree.jpg

Lots of free firewood!! Friends of mine was making a mint. Getting paid to cut their own firewood!! They have 10 years worth of wood.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame to see those beautiful old trees go down.

Reactions: 7acres
Yes, that old tree and the grey house behind it go together. I'm sure the old fella will be greatly missed. At least the house just got nicked. Could have been much worse.

The very wet spring and high number of serious storms around here have all the tree services reaping a bonus year so far. In addition to the EAB work. On the scrounging side though every mother and her sons are out there in force. Ads hit CL and the material is gone in less than an hour. There is so much work that the real tree services can be very selective on the jobs. Leaving a ton for the fly-by-seat of pants types. There has also been at minimum a 10% uptick in split wood pricing so far, so looks like pricing is going to be a bit steep come fall when the main buying surge hits. Normally about this time I will see log loads advertised for sale, so far I have only seen a couple, and have been unable to get a response from any of the most recent. One I did get a hold of went from $50/log cord to $75 picked up. Ouch!

Hey guys

I am certain this didn't make the US news but I feel it was worthy of passing on.

During the landfall of tropical storm Arthur, strong winds hit Fredericton New Brunswick. Fredericton is (was) known for all it's mature oak, elm and ash trees. Well that storm took a bite out of all the trees. Since the leaves were still in prime season, they acted as sails. See the below link and attached pictures..

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/newbrunswick/fredericton-tallies-tree-damage-from-storm-arthur

View attachment 135644 View attachment 135645

Lots of free firewood!! Friends of mine was making a mint. Getting paid to cut their own firewood!! They have 10 years worth of wood.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We stopped for the night in Fredericton on our way to Nfld. this past June. It has a lovely historic downtown. We stayed at the new Delta hotel on the St. John River and watched the rowers pass by. It's a very nice hotel with several excellent restaurants. It was a bit pricey but worth it.

ChipTam

Hey guys

View attachment 135644 View attachment 135645

Andrew

It hit hard here too. Had some trees downed, but something more odd that I don't remember seeing before was the damage that appeared in the weeks after in what otherwise seemed to be healthy hardwoods. The leaves dying on the side of the tree that the wind hit. Really noticeable along the northern Fundy coast in places - they all looked dead on one side. Apparently from salt in the air along with the extreme winds. Even noticing it some around my house, and we're 10 miles inland. Although up kind of high. Either way, it was the worst storm I have sat through here in a loooong time.

Did the city really chip most of what they dealt with? Thought that's what I heard - rather than cutting up for wood or offering it up, they just ran it all right into a chipper right away. Trunks & all. Then they were worried about spontaneous combustion. Shame if true.

Hi Andrew,

We stopped for the night in Fredericton on our way to Nfld. this past June. It has a lovely historic downtown. We stayed at the new Delta hotel on the St. John River and watched the rowers pass by. It's a very nice hotel with several excellent restaurants. It was a bit pricey but worth it.

ChipTam
Hey Chip! Yes, Fredericton does have a historical downtown. I miss it dearly. As a youngster you never appreciate those things. lol. The Delta is a bit pricey in tourist season indeed.

Glad to enjoyed it!

Andrew

Reactions: ChipTam
It hit hard here too. Had some trees downed, but something more odd that I don't remember seeing before was the damage that appeared in the weeks after in what otherwise seemed to be healthy hardwoods. The leaves dying on the side of the tree that the wind hit. Really noticeable along the northern Fundy coast in places - they all looked dead on one side. Apparently from salt in the air along with the extreme winds. Even noticing it some around my house, and we're 10 miles inland. Although up kind of high. Either way, it was the worst storm I have sat through here in a loooong time.

Did the city really chip most of what they dealt with? Thought that's what I heard - rather than cutting up for wood or offering it up, they just ran it all right into a chipper right away. Trunks & all. Then they were worried about spontaneous combustion. Shame if true.
Yeah, unfortunately, they did chip lots. Not many people heat with wood IN the city and the delays before pickup were just too long. I would have taken 4 days off work and drank redbull until I had firewood for 10 years. lol.

Maple: PM me, where do you live?

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.