Hurricane Joaquin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr47930

Burning Hunk
Aug 11, 2014
Southern MD
Any pellet burners also aspiring meteorologists? Looks like hurricane Joaquin is a.) going to slam into the Mid-Atlantic and cause a bunch of problems for us east coasters or b.) go out to sea and give us a little wind and rain. Looks like the Euro model is the only one that has it going out to sea. As a homeowner in Southern Maryland I surely hope its right. Breaking out the generator tonight to test it out.

Yeah. With what happened just North of my house last night and the coming mess tomorrow and Friday followed with getting smacked by the 'cane Sunday and Monday the Governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency for the whole state starting today. To try to get things in place.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Yeah. With what happened just North of my house last night and the coming mess tomorrow and Friday followed with getting smacked by the 'cane Sunday and Monday the Governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency for the whole state starting today. To try to get things in place.
Latest models have it coming right up the chesapeake bay...I live on the bay so that's not good for me. Home insurance is paid and the only thing I can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Some models have it hitting southern New England head on.

The top black "S" is close to right over the top of my house.

hurricane.gif

You can have it.

Reactions: brhorgan
Latest models have it coming right up the chesapeake bay...I live on the bay so that's not good for me. Home insurance is paid and the only thing I can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I live south of Manassas and plan on raking up craps in the yard.

On your map, I live right on the right edge of the A in MA.

That black "S" is directly over top of my house. If it follows that path I'm screwed.

On the bright side I haven't had to turn the sprinklers on in 2 days. Grass seed is germinating nicely, already about an inch tall.

I am officially moving into pack up mode. We have a summer camp on the CT river and it will flood if we get a hurricane up here. I need to:

Take down the canopies I have over my tractor and boat
Pull out my boat lift and docks (12 hours of work)
Haul home:
tractor
ski Boat
canoe
kayaks
rowboat

Tie down the docks in the field so they don't float away if it floods.
Pick up anything that might float and get it inside the house, chairs tables campfire wood...etc.

It's going to be a busy week!

I cut firewood on some land that a friend owns along the river and today I got the rest of the dead Elm and the Butternut Hickory that I didn't get last weekend picked up in case it floods. This storm reminds me of Irene more than Sandy and I remember after the water went down after Irene the mud rings in some of the trees there were 10 feet up. Irene made landfall and ran up along a stalled front.. which this storm might do as well. I hope I'm wrong but with the river being so high from the rain we got last night the Northeast could get flooding just as bad as what we had from Irene.

Let's hope there is good scroungin' for the taking afterward and not much else in terms of damage...

If it could knock down a few dead trees on my dad's property that'd be even better!

Folks in the storm path - prepare the best you can, get out if that is what is advised - your house just isn't worth it but you are, hunker down and stay safe.

On your map, I live right on the right edge of the A in MA.
And if you draw a straight line east from there to the coast, that's me.

I'm not boarding up the windows based on early and days away computer models but I'll be picking up all the easy to blow around stuff. They are pretty easy to find, they got blown around in the wind and rain storm yesterday and are everywhere but where they are supposed to be.
Got to be done today based on expected rain in the forecast for the weekend.
Looks like regardless of what Joaquin does by middle of next week the East Coast will be soaked .

We've been watching Treme the last few nights from Netflix. Casual references to "it will change course at the last minute and miss us" came back to haunt them with Katrina. The storm does seem to be pushing further out to sea, the jet stream may be affecting it and slowing it's progress down by a day. Good Luck to all of you who are in it's path.

We have wind storms up here that exceed fifty miles an hour on a fairly regular basis, so most of the neighbors keep everything orderly anyways. The Amish outhouses get blown about quite often.

The last named storm to pay a visit up this way was Irene back in 2011. We had a bunch of rain in the days leading up to the storm. The saturated soil made it easy to topple trees which why this happened at my house.

tree on house.jpg

The last named storm to pay a visit up this way was Irene back in 2011. We had a bunch of rain in the days leading up to the storm. The saturated soil made it easy to topple trees which why this happened at my house.
Ouch! With labor rates and materials costing so much down there, I'm hoping all of you have insurance with quality insurance companies. I changed last year when my old agent told me he was having conniptions because the insurance company denied his claim, because of the specific language in the "contract". If the insurance company does it to the agent of thirty something professional years, what would that insurance company have done to me. :mad:

I have Liberty Mutual. They replaced my entire roof, replaced damaged siding and gave me money to cover the costs of the tree removal since I removed it myself. I was quite pleased.

Forecasted track has moved east a bit.

120226W5_NL_sm.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.