Hurricane Joaquin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The top black "S" is close to right over the top of my house.

View attachment 162812

...and about 12 hours later NWS shows the track over to the east, offshore -- but do we believe that? This storm is just messing with us.

We live at about the highest point in our little town, not worried about that, but I swear I can hear the sump pump whimpering in the basement already.

I have Liberty Mutual. They replaced my entire roof, replaced damaged siding and gave me money to cover the costs of the tree removal since I removed it myself. I was quite pleased.

:cool:

Glad to hear it!

12036714_975052809204972_3091419771659571346_n.jpg

Maybe I should just pick one I like and not clean up the yard.

Just listened to the 11 o'clock NHC update. The storm hasn't made the turn to the North yet so they can't get a better handle on the track until it does. But they expect it to make Cat 4 in the next 24 hours.

We MIGHT get lucky with this storm here in the Mid-Atlantic. Latest model has it bypassing MD and heading toward MA & NY area. We are still within the margin of error, would like to see the updated models and if they all tend to agree I will be able to breathe a little easier.

im just below the"V" in Va. and we're already under floods watch, we've had almost 5 inches of rain since Friday so we're already saturated

Us too and up to six more coming before the cane gets here. My favorite word in the English language is "drought".

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
We MIGHT get lucky with this storm here in the Mid-Atlantic. Latest model has it bypassing MD and heading toward MA & NY area. We are still within the margin of error, would like to see the updated models and if they all tend to agree I will be able to breathe a little easier.
Oh crap.

My concern about the storm at least in the mid Atlantic area is rain fall (flooding) then winds after the storm.
Even if the hurricane stays off shore we are going to get soaked here, In my area it has been a very dry summer, so much that some of the tree roots have started to shrink due to lack of moisture.
The storm Tuesday and Wednesday dropped close to 2" of much needed rain saturating the soil, now with a Nor'easter forecasted tonight through Sunday potentially dropping 5-8" of rain then a possible tropical storm / hurricane dumping another 5 -8" of raining the ground will be overly saturated (flooding in low lying area's) and if we get winds after the storm (due to pressure gradients) I would suspect tree's falling and power outages becoming a true reality. Not quite a Sandy event, more like an Irene event here.

Looks like we all might get lucky! Trend keeps pushing it out to sea. Still looking at 5+ inches of rain tomorrow though.

The last named storm to pay a visit up this way was Irene back in 2011. We had a bunch of rain in the days leading up to the storm. The saturated soil made it easy to topple trees which why this happened at my house.

View attachment 162833
I live near Sturbridge, I lost several trees in that storm, including one on my new roof!

I am interested to see what could drop around my house.. We have so 80+ft pines all around our house
No damage here, but lost power for 6 days.

Saw this on facebook thought it was kinda funny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 139
Latest projections predict north northeast track and bulk of storm stays out to sea. Obviously, that could change but good news if it pans out.

Went and bought a 2nd gas can for the still-in-box generator, so now that I've done any preparations at all, the storm is guaranteed to turn right and attack Belgium. Rest easy, everyone!:p

Right turn Clyde!

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.