Hurricane Sandy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No power. Posting from phone what a freaking mess.

I hope everyone came thru with minimal damage...it sure looks like it going to take a long time to get things back to normal. Mother nature can sure get pissed at times... Take care everybody...

Call me
Easier.
Internet on phone spotty. Were OK. Please let BB see this. Might. Need Gennie.

2 weeks no power?

Just talked to Dixie and it is a mess on LI. Bridges closed so power crews can't get there. Trees down all over the place. Her and the Dixette are hunkered down with the stoves going. For light.

Just talked to Dixie and it is a mess on LI. Bridges closed so power crews can't get there. Trees down all over the place. Her and the Dixette are hunkered down with the stoves going. For light.

Hate to hear that...all I can do is send prayers her way...so that is what I am doing. Be safe.

It's going to be days before the full scope of this storm is assessed.

The term 'big' does not properly describe the size of this storm.
3hFH4.jpg

Reactions: smokinj
Me and my family are safe power came on at 9:30.

A lot of damage going to post pics my next post.

Drove into NYC for work today. Passed a National Guard convoy on the way. Was kinda weird to see driftwood in the center median of the West Side Highway. Still have't seen a single ConEd crew at work anywhere in Westchester County.

IMAG0072.jpg

Top of 100 foot pine came down on power line in my drive way but power went out before this.
IMAG0071.jpg

lucky that one is still standing.
IMAG0070.jpg

Edit. The mag has now payed for itself it even cruised at 700 a while yesterday.

This storm could have been worse if it was mid winter i am thankful it was not

No damage here. A neighbor lost some shingles for their house and some roll roof from a shed. I had to rescue their garbage can before it went swimming.

Of course the major winds came overnight, and we decided not to walk down to the lake to check it out since we'd have had to walk under trees to get there. No idea what the peak heights were, but I think the lower lake levels really helped keep damage down. I'm pretty sure we had higher winds over the past winter.

Heavy wet snows and ice storms are hell on the trees. Good to hear that you are safe and warm corey21.

Thank you begreen.

I went out to my chicken lot and it is destroyed the chickens are fine

Power went back off about an hour ago but my internet is up and genny is fired back up.

Browning, that is a heck of a picture of Sandy. The tail is only about 400 miles off Ireland!

We are watching your news with interest and amazement. Hope everybody still has some dry wood.........

Has any one heard from WellSeasoned?

Praying for you guys tonight.

No power still here.

Where's Thomas?

Mike lives further east? . Not good. Saw the neon vest guys today
Maybe power soon. Lots of firewood. Lots. Truck busy. Cold tonight
this sucks.

Still no power and no sign of ConEd crews. I was able to get some electrical parts from work yesterday so I could get a better power distribution system for my genny. I can run both refrigerators and the water heater now. Even have some lights and TV. Day off today so I can load the front porch with wood and clean up the lawn. I am thankful that all I am dealing with is inconvenience. There is some serious devastation closer to the coast and even right down the road along Hudson River.
On the bright side, there is lots of wood on the ground around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.