Hurricane Sandy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to be a huge mess to clean up. My sister is still without power up in Poundridge too.

Well still no power.

Just kind of hot.

First post here since the storm was getting bad. Cell phone started working this morning a little bit. No power since monday afternoon, expected to be out until sunday or monday. We made it out good, property was ok, thx for the prayers, others not so lucky. Thankful for the generator and woodstove. Will be processing these branches and trees for 2+ years. Be well

This pic is one of the many large trees we lost on the property

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351800974203.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351800974203.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 179
Glad you made it through,what type of tree is that?

Oy yiyi..... what a mess.....

I'm back !!!! Got power this PM !!

Reactions: firefighterjake
Pics when you get a chance, eh, Eileen? Glad yer OK! () Rick

Great news. Guess I need to call him and tell him to turn around and head back.

tumblr_ma375ofKLr1r40n36o1_500.jpg

Wearing Old Spice & carrying a rain hat.

Things I have learned from this experience....

LIPA has an awesome progress map

http://www.lipower.org/stormcenter/outagemap.html

I need a generator.... gonna be shopping.

Neighbors are mostly the BEST people.

I need a generator (have a hook up).

The PE convects quite nicely with no fan.

I need a generator.

The freezer side of a side x side fridge is better than an ice chest, when packed with home made ice (home made ice lasted 4 days...awesome)

I need a generator.

Battery powered LED lights are the BOMB.

I need a generator.

BB sounds like Texas ;)

Reactions: Shadow&Flame
BB sounds like Texas ;)

At work one day my boss told me that a local college had a course that could help me get rid of that accent. I told him that it had taken me 40 years to get it just right and I wasn't gonna screw it up. And that I wasn't too crazy about that Brooklyn accent of his either. ;lol

The winter with ice and heavy snow, makes the trees close to my house,more scary than wind.
This storm has affected a lot of people.
Good luck to everyone

Now gas shortages!!!

Yeah the fuel shortages are getting nasty. The tankers blocked out off of Staten Island by debris are full of gas but can't get to the port. And even after that the stuff has to get to stations. That have power to run the pumps.

Heart goes out to you guys.

I filled up the gas cans on Monday. Figured it was for the splitter & the chain saws. Guess its going for a different purpose now.

I leave early in the AM for work, will see if I can get some gas in the truck.

Yup, I gotta believe that they'd love nothing more than to sell it to you, but for right now they just simply can't get it to you. Infrastructure damaged/obstructed. You can bet there are a bunch of folks addressing every aspect of this, as it has a major impact...on them as well as on you. I know it's very hard to be patient, but what's the alternative? Stay safe. Rick

Tried to buy a couple of gas cans before the storm hit up here...none to be found at the big box stores or small mom and pop shops. Not much wonder that supplies are low. Heck...had to make a new cord for a new generator to work on my house hook up and had to go all over the area to find someone not sold out. Filled mine cans up today and the attendant said he's been doing nothing but filling cans the last few days...though it seems I'm the only one left on the street without power (willow tree had direct hit on the meter on my house so main line repair isn't helping. Electrician said I was 1/8th of an inch of box bend away from explosion and fire. Waiting on power company to come inspect the box and add the meter, probably restring me from the road since the line had a tree stretching it.....though another day without power I'll think about connecting it without the meter and taking it for free until they get here).

On the plus side, the new splitting axe got here today so tomorrow I'll get something more done than cutting up willow that I can't even give away and hoping the verizon network has few enough people on it that my wireless card allows me to get some actual work done.

When it was looking like it was going to be worse here than it turned out to be my neighbor couldn't find any gas cans left in the stores. I loaned him two of the six new ones I had on the shelf in the garage. Bought at the end of the storm season one year when they were on sale for 1/8 the regular price. They are blue kero cans. I handed him the 99 cent can of red paint.

Hearing about homes being looted, really discusses me :mad:

I borrowed a 5 gallon from my father in law and have two 2 gallon ones and a 5 gallon one. That's plenty considering the forecast for us. I'd still love to have that extra one though.

Anyone trying to loot my place is probably going to end up at the wrong end of a .45 or 30.06.

Status
Not open for further replies.