Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Used my 22 ton Huskee for the first time yesterday and I was pleased with it's performance. I have alot of Ash to split and while most of it is clean, it had no problem getting through any of the gnarly rounds.

So far so good. The best part was not having to rush to return a rental. I will take my time and do it at my pace from now on!

Congrats on the new machine. Enjoy splitting at a more relaxed pace and of course we want pictures!

I think it's time for Dennis to make a video on how to split while seated on a crate.

edit:....and after last night's splitting of large walnut rounds I really could use some of those "tricks".
Im not too comfortable yet cutting while on the ground, maybe a video by Dennis is a good idea.

Yes Dennis, I want to see how you move the rounds to the splitter while seated. I can see sitting but without help I do not see how you are not getting up and down constantly.

Reactions: nate379 and Ashful
Congrats on the new machine. Enjoy splitting at a more relaxed pace and of course we want pictures!

Here's a couple: pics from cell phone Aug 2012 306.jpg

Attachments

• pics from cell phone Aug 2012 309.jpg
    pics from cell phone Aug 2012 309.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 483
Yes Dennis, I want to see how you move the rounds to the splitter while seated. I can see sitting but without help I do not see how you are not getting up and down constantly.
one way is to surround yourself with rounds laying down and using a pickaroon. Another way is to learn the thousands of years old practice of "Round Calling" which Dennis has mastered. They just all come a-runnin' when he makes the call.

I have set-up 22 ton right next to a 27 ton. Only way one would be faster than the other is: if the wood was 18 inch and under the 22 ton wins: if it was knoty wood or bigger the 27 ton wins. Wood does not get to the splitter in any uniform way. So both crews can pretty much the same cord per hour. Cycle time 22ton 12 sec's 27 ton 18 seconds makes no differance at the end of the day!

I have set-up 22 ton right next to a 27 ton. Only way one would be faster than the other is: if the wood was 18 inch and under the 22 ton wins: if it was knoty wood or bigger the 27 ton wins. Wood does not get to the splitter in any uniform way. So both crews can pretty much the same cord per hour. Cycle time 22ton 12 sec's 27 ton 18 seconds makes no differance at the end of the day!
While this may be true for Jay's situation (he cut's and splits before it ever sees the truck), I beg to differ. In my case I'm usually splitting off a pile of rounds already cut to size, running a 2 man crew, then cycle time does indeed matter. 26 tons pounding down the rail every 12 seconds and I haven't found anything that'll stop it yet. >>

one way is to surround yourself with rounds laying down and using a pickaroon. Another way is to learn the thousands of years old practice of "Round Calling" which Dennis has mastered. They just all come a-runnin' when he makes the call.

I've often wondered which call he uses . . .

Is it the Ku Ku Ku Ku Ku Ku Ku call utilized most famous by Bob and Doug McKenzie at the start of their TV show (and if so does Dennis have to wear plaid and a toque?)

Maybe it's this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...y_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active . . . You have to be fast to get those rounds to come in though.

Or maybe it's the traditional "Sou-eeeee . . . Sou-eeeeeee!"

:)

As the owner of a big old beast (big tonnage) and a fast cycle splitter (around 15 tons, ~9 second cycle), I will concur with Jay. If I have smaller rounds, easy splitting, I can rip through a pile of that stuff in very short time with the little one. If I have big, ugly rounds the big boy will out perform the small one simply because of the no-brainer operation. Get the log on the beam and it WILL split. Two completely different splitters with two completely different splitting styles.

Record to date: small splitter - 5x10 trailer heaped with smallish rounds. Two person operation. 20 minutes. Priceless.==c

While this may be true for Jay's situation (he cut's and splits before it ever sees the truck), I beg to differ. In my case I'm usually splitting off a pile of rounds already cut to size, running a 2 man crew, then cycle time does indeed matter. 26 tons pounding down the rail every 12 seconds and I haven't found anything that'll stop it yet. >>

I split where its at a throw in the trailer leaving the mess behind. (Little Indian trick) Now you hit any croutch pieces knotty pieces or stubern in anyway the 27 will blow right past you. If where talking perfect stright wood no limbs I would agree. I had both splitter side by side running many times. (27 ton much quicker to grunt and maintane its speed)

I purchased the 22 ton huskee 3 years ago and have split at least 60 cords so far no problems yet have changed the filter once. Engine uses a little oil my only complaint is gas tank is to small.

I've owned the 22 ton huskee for two years with no complaints until recently. I tore the carb apart this weekend and found some fine wood dust in the bowl. After cleaning everything out I installed an inline filter from the gas tank to the carb. Shouldn't have that problem anymore. One other problem however is that the spring that connects the throttle adjustment to the butterfly broke off last time I used it. When I had it apart today I noticed it was the hook at the end that connects to the throttle adjustment that actually broke. I bent a new hook in the spring but I think I am going to order a new spring for it in case that happens again. Other than that it has been a great splitter so far with lots of years left in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.