huskee 22 ton or 28 ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Looking to buy my first splitter. Seen some posts about the 22 and associated problems. Haven't seen much about the 28 ton. The 28 has a Honda engine and I am partial to them. Looking for input on the 22 vs. 28, pros and cons of both. Basically which is gonna be my best investment. Thanks

Both are good. 28 ton is faster in big wood 22 ton faster in smaller wood. Put them side by side running the way the rounds come in on a job and they will be equall at the end of the day. Some will say that not the honda motor to have but I have 2 of them there very good.

If it was'nt for the one loose set screw that toasted my coupler, I would be 100% satisfied with my 22. Luckily it was an easy fix...not so lucky for Ed. It has plenty of grunt and the briggs seems decent. I figure I could repower with a new engine in 10 years cheaper than paying up front for the honda, although I don't think I will have to.

Be aware that the Honda engine is the consumer grade GC and not the commercial GX.

Is the 28-ton splitter a bad model? No. For me, it's either the 22-ton or 35-ton model when considering Huskee because the cycle time is much slower on the 28-ton. (Yes, I've tried all three.) I purchased the 35-ton model because the price difference after 10%-off coupon wasn't that much, and it maintains speed through almost all tough rounds.

Putting it another way--if you're going to pay a price premium for something over the 22-ton model, make sure to get the most for your money. At the current list price of $1599 for the 28-ton model in my region, you in the range for a Brave 26-ton or faster SpeeCo 25 ton. Something to consider.

Here is something to think about that no one has posted to my knowledge. I have a 22 and my friend has a 28, and to me the 22 is more user friendly. When you are using the 28 in the vertical postion the exhaust fumes are blowing right at your work area, but with the 22 they are not.

Now the 28 does have a little more power, but I have yet to see a need for it.

This is just my thoughts on them and for me I am glad that I purchased the 22.

My 28 has been great. Did have an issue with the exhaust, but called Speco (Husky) and they sent a diverter. I was told the 28 will outsplit the 35 becasue the Honda motor has better torque. I can say that the Honda starts on the second pull if not the first, every time. The splitter has not seen a log it didn't split yet. I ran some ugly sections of Pin, Red and White Oak through it.

mywaynow said:
My 28 has been great. Did have an issue with the exhaust, but called Speco (Husky) and they sent a diverter. I was told the 28 will outsplit the 35 becasue the Honda motor has better torque. I can say that the Honda starts on the second pull if not the first, every time. The splitter has not seen a log it didn't split yet. I ran some ugly sections of Pin, Red and White Oak through it.

Yes they do, and if it does not start that quick, check the gas shut off or your empty.

I like Honda engines too. However, our 20 ton splitter has a 5 hp Briggs & Stratton engine. We've split over 200 cord and it still does its job very nicely.

I also think some folks put too much emphasis on cycle time. We are not doing this commercially and to save a couple seconds is not worth much. Mine does very nicely in speed and I have to work very hard if I want to keep up with the splitters capability. Also, a bigger splitter will go through the tough ones faster as the smaller units switch to the power stage and then back to the speedier stage once through the tough stuff. But we are usually talking splitting knotty stuff. If everything was knotty, then there could be a savings of time. But, we also have to keep in mind that the bigger machines will use more gas and oil and with the price of gas as it is, that is no small factor.

smokingout said:
Looking to buy my first splitter. Seen some posts about the 22 and associated problems. Haven't seen much about the 28 ton. The 28 has a Honda engine and I am partial to them. Looking for input on the 22 vs. 28, pros and cons of both. Basically which is gonna be my best investment. Thanks

Don't be worried about the Huskee, it's a good splitter and I believe is the best bang-for-your-buck deal out there. My problems originated with a Huskee factory problem but evolved into both a Huskee and Tractor Supply problem. The Huskee issue was a lovejoy coupler that self-destructed due to an error (wasn't tightened tight enough) in the factory assembly of the unit. The TSC issue was some personnel issues. Issues with both companies were handled quickly and professionally by both companies once they were contacted. Look at all the nuts and bolts on the unit before committing to it. One bolt loose I can *maybe* understand, anymore than that and they have a person assembling the splitters that needs a talking to by management. Also, is there is greasy fingerprints or hand prints in an excessive number on the machine leave it...the assembler didn't take pride in his/her job/work. Check both hydraulic fluid and engine oil. If you're going to pull it home *check the air in the tires*.

These checks would apply to any brand of splitter, though. Also, the customer rep that you will deal with if you get a Huskee is an excellent person to deal with and he will bend over backwards to make you happy.

I don't regret a bit buying the 22-ton Huskee, even with the problems that I had to begin with. It has busted through some very gnarly, ancient red oak...what it didn't split it simply sheared on through it. The standard B&S 675 engine has cranked on first pull every time so for but I've only got a couple of hours on the machine.

Rather than the 28-ton Huskee I would opt for the 25-ton Speeco with the B&S 1450 engine and the 16gpm pump...fast and powerful...you can order it online. You don't get to look at it before buying and it's possible there might be an assembly isue when you start putting it together but I would still go for the 25-ton Speeco because even though there might be a delay getting to use it I know that SpeeCo will take care of any problems.

Best wishes,
Ed

I have about 4 hours on my Huskee 22 ton and I'm very happy with it's peformance. All I have split thus far is red and white oak...I did test the splitter with a few really gnarly pieces and while it did strain a bit for a moment(kicking into low gear as the wife says) I have not yet had a problem. On my 1st tank of gas there was a moment when I thought the spitter was stalling and straining the engine...but then it just died and I realized I just ran out of gas! :)
I really need to put an extended cradle on it though...getting tired of bending over for the pieces that fall off and the tire on the other side is taking a real beating.

Easy fix Bob. Just split vertical and you will find all of it is much easier and no lifting involved.

I would have been surprised if you had not chimed in Dennis! :) I'll be going vertical this weekend on some big stuff, we'll see if I am newly converted after that!

Tonnage means very little in a splitter because most wood splits in under 500lbs pressure with a 4" cylinder. I totally disagree with Dennis, cycle time is!!!! everything. Unless your retired and have tons (haha) of time on your hands, cycle time is what will get the job done. My splitter is 4sec full cycle time with no second stage to slow me down either. I split for yrs on a 5hp normal 2 stage and got real tired of watching a ram move at a snails pace. Oh BTW My splitter can go vertical but I hate that too. Tires me way more than standing.

Vertical vs horizontal.....fast versus not so fast.....neither is a big deal to me. Vert-Horiz in my book each has it's place and just a matter of personal preference. I think for the average Joe homeowner that splits less than 6 cords per year cycle time is not that big an issue. For me the 13 second full cycle time is fine as it's in position by the time I return with the next long piece, but for the shorter stuff I don't let it full cycle anyway. Again, to each his own. 4 seconds is fast...faster than I am for sure! :)

wkpoor, I do not know what your old splitter was like but our splitter wedge does not move at a snail's pace! However, I have seen some that do and for those.....well, they are best set aside for a real splitter to take over the duty. Also, as I've stated, there is no need to use the full cycle! You can if you wish but we rarely do. If the wood is cut to 16" then why use a 24" stroke?

Backwoods Savage said:
wkpoor, I do not know what your old splitter was like but our splitter wedge does not move at a snail's pace! However, I have seen some that do and for those.....well, they are best set aside for a real splitter to take over the duty. Also, as I've stated, there is no need to use the full cycle! You can if you wish but we rarely do. If the wood is cut to 16" then why use a 24" stroke?

Agree 100 percent...You can put a 18 sec. troy built next to a 14 sec husky and at the end of the day produce the same amount of wood. Faster splitter dont do as well in the tougher wood and are faster in the clean wood. It all wash's at the end of the day!

Whether or not you need the full stroke depends on the wood. Elm for sure can fight till the end. As for fast splitter not having the necessary force, well they do when there is a 60hp diesel powering it hehehehe. I'll start a new thread on my splitter build that born out of yrs of having used store bought slow splitters.

Cycle time is only as good as the operator. I myself may be slow, but the splitter works way faster than I do. I split my smaller rounds horizontal and I have a short barrel underneath to catch splinters and fall out pieces. But it also allows me a place to rest that piece or the other half that I just split. But after todays workout, I'm glad I went with the 34 ton splitter. That Box Elm and Multi-fork Hackleberry has given it a run for its money.

Status
Not open for further replies.