Huskee 22 ton splitter problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
On year 3 with this and to this point I have not had any problems. Took down a maple today and wanted to s&s this afternoon. 1st time running splitter in many months so did my usual check all fluids, bolts, nuts, etc. Filled with fresh gas and was very hard to start. When it did initially run it seemed it only ran for a few seconds. After many primer bulb pushing and starts I finally got it to stay running. Ran the ram thru a few cycles and even though the engine just didn't sound right I attempted my first split. It stalled when under load. Got it started again and let it run for several minutes but same result. Checked air filter, took off bowl to check float...all seemed fine. Any idea what's going on here?

I would clean carb. Sounds like gummed up.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sounds like the jet may be partially clogged. That my guess . I bet a full Carb clean and or rebuild will solve it.

Yep, I agree, same thing happened to my blower, it needed cleaning....

Before you pull the carb, check the fuel itself. Any chance it's a bad batch or a bit of water got into the tank from rain/condensation? Otherwise I agree that a carb clean out is in order.

I suspected the carb too. Pulled plug and it looked good so I put it back in. Got a small can of Sea Foam and put more than called for into the tank. When I finally could get it started again it would only maintain a run if I kept pushing the primer bulb...fairly good confirmation it was the carb. When I was just about to give up for the day it finally stopped stalling so I let it run for about 15 minutes. Was able to split the round still in the cradle w/o stalling.Seems like that stuff did the job! I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Reactions: Fifelaker
Forgot to mention, this was the first time I ran the engine dry before storing it. Other years I put Stabil into the gas before storing.

I suspected the carb too. Pulled plug and it looked good so I put it back in. Got a small can of Sea Foam and put more than called for into the tank. When I finally could get it started again it would only maintain a run if I kept pushing the primer bulb...fairly good confirmation it was the carb. When I was just about to give up for the day it finally stopped stalling so I let it run for about 15 minutes. Was able to split the round still in the cradle w/o stalling.Seems like that stuff did the job! I'll know for sure tomorrow.
I have seen SeaFoam ( and other additives like it) work well on a bit of varnish left from sitting. Glad to hear its up and running.

It happened to me once. Two sprays with carb cleaner and a couple pulls of rope got things going nicely.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Agree with carb as likely problem, but even if air filter looked good, think about time on the filter - if it's been a long while since changed, may want to change when/if you clean/rebuild carb. I check and clean air filter often on my splitter, but even if it still looks good, can still be getting plugged - I had some similar difficulties with my splitter and new air filter was certainly part of the overall fix. Old filter looked okay but really wasn't.

Spraying Carb cleaner in a Carb will only clean the throat and will help one run that's hat starting g but will not clean a needle/seat, float bowl or jets or offices. But it will allow it to run for a second or two and possibly suck some junk through the jet if that is the problem.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Well, it did not solve the problem. So, took the carb off(fairly easy to do) and gave it a good spray of carb cleaner thru every hole I could find. Reinstalled and same problem. I guess it needs to soak in something for a few hours? What do you guys use...I've read lacquer thinner works. I know enough to remove the gasket but are there any small parts in there that will be damaged by soaking?

Well, it did not solve the problem. So, took the carb off(fairly easy to do) and gave it a good spray of carb cleaner thru every hole I could find. Reinstalled and same problem. I guess it needs to soak in something for a few hours? What do you guys use...I've read lacquer thinner works. I know enough to remove the gasket but are there any small parts in there that will be damaged by soaking?
Is there a tiny hole in the bowl nut? If so it is serving as the main jet and would be the most likely cause of any restriction.

Sometimes its in the bowl nut or drain. There's all kids D's of places that they stick main jets??

I used seafoam on my snow blower last year and it ran like a champ after that also in my saws and even my leaf blower. That stuff works.

Pete

You could have a tiny piece of dirt stuck inside a jet & hardly even be able to see it. Sprays & Seafoam won't do much in that case. I've had carbs torn apart & had to do it all over again because I missed something like that. Sometimes you just have to take it completely apart & all the jets out to find the problem - I usually pull a bristle out of a wire brush & run that in & out the jets in that case. Don't stop until you are sure that you can see right thru it, blowing in it both ways beforehand. Sometimes you think you have it cleared out but you only pushed the dirt sideways, and it will just go back into blockage position again.

Been there dine that. Pulled them down blew and cleaned but did not positive ly make sure jet was clean. Tore down cleaned blew and ran something in the jet then reassembled and it was fine??

Just an update...it's ALIVE again!! Split about half a cord with no problems. Any owners with the B&S carb, it's a very simple matter to remove and i say this with authority since this is the first carb I have ever removed, cleaned and reinstalled. About a 20 minute job. This time I again sprayed every hole I could find(including the bowl nut), ran a very fine wire through the jet and any hole that would take it and used compressed air to dry it out before reinstall.

Was pretty sure that was your problem . Been there done that with everything I own ;-)

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.