Huskee 22ton HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I'm looking to change the filter on my Huskee 22 ton splitter, I've got the filter numbers needed thanks to the other thread, but I can't find the hydraulic oil to replace what leaks when I change the filter out. The manual calls for SAE 20 but that seems like a motor oil to me :-/ . I went to TSC and they didn't have it. (and no, I didn't ask for help. Never too impressed with this store)

I know they say you can use transmission fluid but can I mix that with what's in there?
Is my manual outdated and I can use something else?
What is a man to do?

Thanks,

fv

If your just looking to add a quart and not replace the whole volume, make sure that you are as compatible as possible (i.e. if motor oil is used, then use motor oil. If hydro fluid is used....).

SAE 20 is a standard weight motor oil. Any kind of car "parts - R- us" store should carry it, and for sure any kind of farm supply store should have it. Standard weight oil is common on older farm machinery, such as straight 30 SAE for summer use, straight 20 for winter.

Edit: If you absolutely cannot find it, a multi-grade could be used, but make sure the bottom number starts with 20 (20-50 sae)

Hydraulic oil can be had at any auto store. Thats what I would use.

smokinjay said:

But only if you are going to change the whole system over to it. I also use hydro fluid, but my splitter has never had anything else in it.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

But only if you are going to change the whole system over to it. I also use hydro fluid, but my splitter has never had anything else in it.

Is this not a quart to replace what came out of the filter?

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

[del]Yep, but the original fluid was SAE 20 motor oil. (or so it appears)[/del]

EDIT: STOP - sorry, I think I misread. If this is a husky - it should be SAE 20 HYDRO fluid. I had motor oil stuck in my head. Thanks for jarring the noggin Jay.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Yep, but the original fluid was SAE 20 motor oil. (or so it appears)

Huh, thought the tsc came hydro at-least thats what I see in the adds. Alright cought the reviseed!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

Yep, but the original fluid was SAE 20 motor oil. (or so it appears)

Huh, thought the tsc came hydro at-least thats what I see in the adds.

It does, see above. :red:

From the manual:

AW46 hydraulic oil is recommended when oil is needed.

My 2009 build Huskee manual says SAE 20 for hydraulic oil.

TSC does indeed carry the right hydraulic oil (or equivalent): SAE 10W-20 -or- ISO 46

The will be at least one person at TSC who knows what oil to use because that person fills the reservoir when the splitter is assembled on site.

TreePointer said:

TSC does indeed carry the right hydraulic oil (or equivalent): SAE 10W-20 -or- ISO 46

The will be at least one person at TSC who knows what oil to use because that person fills the reservoir when the splitter is assembled on site.

The gag order won't let me comment on this... :)

Ed

Pst, fv...what lukem said...you'll find AW46 at Advanced Auto, etc.,.

Intheswamp said:
TreePointer said:

The gag order won't let me comment on this... :)

Ed

Pst, fv...what lukem said...you'll find AW46 at Advanced Auto, etc.,.

Oh No! lol

Thanks guys, we've got another one to the south of me. I'll head there and see if the service is better. I worked in a farm store for 4.5 years and always made sure everyone was asked if they needed anything. Kinda gets to me when you don't even see someone to help you.

fv

IF it needs a type "46" hydro oil, AND if you have a Ford/New Holland dealer local....

A New Holland "134" hydro is also the same as off the shelf "46" but with a "bit" (read LARGE) mark-up. Went a few rounds with my super and the dealer and spec sheets.... ended up as "well, I guess your right" type of thing ;-)

TreePointer said:
I guess I'm fortunate to have good people staffing the two TSC's near me. Some of them have actually worked on farms and own tractors. Imagine that! :roll:

Here are a couple TSC links:

Traveller® Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid (10W-20)
Traveller® All Season Hydraulic Oil ISO 46

Can't imagine :p

The nearest TSC it about 75 miles away; so we are stuck with Homo Deep Sh!t and Lousyest as far as "box stores" If I ask one of the pimple faced kids about anything above 4th grade; they have to call a manager "fer hep"!!

Wonder why I go to my local "power equipment" dealer for the thing I need?!?!?!

They had the ISO 46, so that is the same thing?

fv

fireview2788 said:

fv

YES!

fireview2788 said:

fv

Yes

Edit - Sorry Jay - ya got it before me!

PJF1313 said:
fireview2788 said:

fv

Yes

Edit - Sorry Jay - ya got it before me!

like a blind squirrel finding a nut, I get lucky from time to time. lol

Awesome! Thanks so much guys, and my wife thinks its weird that I spend time on here and post pics. See, it's going to save me $ and keep me from toasting my splitter.

fv

fireview2788 said:
Awesome! Thanks so much guys, and my wife thinks its weird that I spend time on here and post pics. See, it's going to save me $ and keep me from toasting my splitter.

fv

Oh tell here with a new saw you will be able to spend more time with her! ;-) (now that the spliter has speeded up that side of the game) :coolsmile:

fireview2788 said:

fv

Here's the description from the TSC link I provided. Prepare to smack yourself in the forehead:

Traveller® Hydraulic Oil ISO 46 (SAE 20 Equivalent) is a high quality hydraulic oil that is specifically formulated to protect against rust, corrosion, foaming, oxidation and meets or exceeds the requirements for industrial and mobile hydraulic systems.

* This product is not recommended for transmission, differentials, wet brakes or final drive drive gears
* Perfect for log splitters, hydraulic lifts, etc.
* 2 gal.
* Guaranteed to meet performance requirements

If I smacked myself in the head every time I didn't look in the right place for the info I needed I would have a large dent in my forehead! Besides, where's the fun in finding it yourself when you have experts that are willing to help the rookie out.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.