1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Huskee 22ton tires constantly deflating

Post in 'The Gear' started by WellSeasoned, May 18, 2013.

1. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Its been 2 weeks since I split last, but I'm constantly refilling them with air. Just wondering if anybody else has this issue with this particular model, thx

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I have a 2009 build 35-ton Huskee without that issue. Note that TSC Huskee splitters have the following warranty:

"3 years material and workmanship/2 years engine/1 year hydraulic components"

If you didn't damage the tire (nail, thorn, etc.) then call it in to SpeeCo (makers of Huskee). They're very good with warranty issues. I wouldn't be surprised if they sent you a new wheel with tire in 3-5 days.

If you want to handle it yourself, then consider putting Slime in it or drop it off at a local tire shop to have them seal it.
    jeff_t likes this.
  3. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I have one I put air in maybe 2x/year.

Warranty is worth a shot. Otherwise I'd slime it. Just figure on replacing both the wheel and tire, if you ever need to.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

Just put tubes in, they are around $10-12 at Lowes for those small tires.
    TreePointer likes this.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Make sure your valve cores are tight.
  6. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Good suggestions guys! I have thought about slime, but will check valve, ect first, thx
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    MasterMech can install them for you. (ducking)
    MasterMech, HDRock and TreePointer like this.
  8. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    When my kids bikes sits in garage over time, they go flat. I guess if you don't use it, you will lose it, but if its a short amount of time, then contact the dealer.....
  9. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Dish soap n water, squirt it around and see where it's leaking, and go from there
    Fifelaker likes this.
  10. blel

blel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    It happens over time to a lot of small tires I have, garden tractor, generator, etc.
    I just put tubes in them
  11. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    Personally I use slime & or tire plugs . You can't plug a tubed tire.

Will use tubes under certain circumstances tho.

Plugs are cheap , quick & easy fix for thorn holes .
  12. blel

blel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Sometimes older tires just won't hold air, it's not like you can just plug a hole. Air can leak around the bead or just seep thru the rubber if old and dried out. Tubes take care of these situations.
  13. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio

That's the situation , bad leaking rims, old weather checked tires

My 40 year old GT has the rims rotted away from calcium cloride . Tractor would be in trouble with out tubes

Still seems I repair flats on something nonstop

No matter what fix you use there always seems to be downside to it

Cheers
  14. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

There is a couple things I'll try. Splitter was bought october of last year. Started giving me trouble during the winter.
  15. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I used Green Slime in a couple of things.
  16. nate379

nate379 Guest

Don't waste your money on that crap. It's about as useless as fix a flat. Almost never works and they you have that nasty crap to clean out to actually repair the issue.

17. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

YES!! Common sense prevails! ;) Find the source of the problem (ie. the leak) and pick a solution from there.

:mad: ;) ;lol

Slime sells tubes that have the goop inside already. No mess. If you're gonna tube 'em, it's an option.
  18. nate379

nate379 Guest

I bought a tube that has that crap in there by mistake. Now everytime I fill the tire it gunks up my air chuck. <>

19. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Mine working fine so far. 3 years
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I heard that Alaskan air lasts forever in a tire. :rolleyes: :p
    HDRock likes this.
  21. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

My MTD had a leak at the Bead? I took tire off, cleaned and re-seated bead. Never a prob again :)

Soap and water as suggested above. Find the leak. Check tire surface, bead, and valve.
  22. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    We freeze it 7 months of the year,
    keep it fresher that way ;)
    Nixon, MasterMech and HDRock like this.
  23. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I was gonna put tubes in something or other, generator?, but then realized I didn't know how to take off the tires. I've done bicycle tires but nothing else. Any links on how? Bigger tire irons, I guess.
  24. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    You're on the wrong track. Your small OPE likely has tubeless tires, completely different than a bicycle tire. They rely on a tight seal between the bead of the tire and the rim. For breaking this bead loose, of all the tools available to the average homeowner, your most useful is likely the heel of your foot in a sneaker. Get a valve tool, remove the valve stem, put the wheel on its side (on a sheet of plywood, so you don't scratch the rim on the pavement), and stomp on the side wall once or twice. Once it's partially free, you'll be able to work the rest loose with your fingers. Don't remove the tire from the rim, just work, your tube in between tire and rim.

All that said, I'm like MasterMech... not in favor of using tubes in tubeless tires.
  25. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I feel the same way . . . slimed all my ATV tires . . . maybe it would have worked if it wasn't shale that cut rather than punctured the tire.

And I know for a fact that my local mechanic does not like working with tires that have been slimed . . . I had a choice of paying him an extra $10 to clean out slime . . . or do the job myself.