Huskee brand gas splitter (Tractor Supply)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
Anybody own and use that 22 ton TSC splitter they sell, was up by one over the weekend and was just casually looking at it... $1000...

Jay

I have used my friends TSC splitter at the start of last year . It is a nice splitter but seemed under powerd.I bought a Harbor Freight 24 ton splitter in the summer and up until now have split 45 cords . It has more power than the TSC splitter, it has a 9 hp robin engine. It is the best running engine I own. It uses less gas than TSC splitter. I run mine at just off idle no problems .

I looked at quite a few different splitters and finally bought a North Star from Northern Tool. So far I've been very impressed. The Honda engine starts and runs great and has plenty of power for anything that I've run into.

I notice the ones that Lowes sell (27 ton for $1350) use Honda engines.. which I generally hear good things about... I need to get a trailer hitch though.

How hard are they to move around? I know a lot of them are like 500lbs or so, being on a small grass lot, is the only way to really move them around is via your car? If I wanted to move it from my driveway to the back of my house, would I be able to without having to move it with my car?

Jay

You shouldn't have any problem moving 500 lbs around on a trailer. The tongue provides ample leverage to swing it back and forth to steer. If the ground is a bit hilly or potmarked you may get the tires stuck in some ruts, but a sheet of plywood or some boards under the tires will fix that.

This weekend I was moving boats around on trailers by hand.

Matt

45 cords last summer! Awesome.
So, brownie, you run yours at a relatively low speed with no problems? I imagine if the engine exhibits a tendency to bog down, it could just be sped up some.
Downside could be a slower cycle time, but if that's not a problem, slower engine speed = less noise, even though the engine is pretty quiet.
I have less than an hour on my 30 ton HF model so far, but the Robin engine does indeed seem sweet to me too.

I got a trailer dolly from Harbor Freight-around 30 bucks I think.
It is quite easy to move it around with that.
Mine is quite heavy to move around and when changing from horizontal to vertical-I need to refine my technique.
Here is a link to a splitter thread that I posted some pics of the dolly:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3912/

velvetfoot said:
So, brownie, you run yours at a relatively low speed with no problems? I imagine if the engine exhibits a tendency to bog down, it could just be sped up some.
Downside could be a slower cycle time, but if that's not a problem, slower engine speed = less noise, even though the engine is pretty quiet.
I have less than an hour on my 30 ton HF model so far, but the Robin engine does indeed seem sweet to me too.

Mine is quite heavy to move around and when changing from horizontal to vertical-I need to refine my technique.

Hey Velvetfoot, I read a bit of that long thread on the splitters... I'll have to check them out. I'd be worried about delivery if they try to get an 18-wheeler on my road (dead end). I can see a small box truck but I can't father an 18 wheeler having to back his way into my road (no way he would be able to turn around) and I don't see him having enough room to manuever to even back into here... I'll check out those HF splitters though... because of the assembly and the fact I don't own a lift, it might not be worth it but I'll see..

P.S. what's with the 8" diameter rating... Doesn't seem that big a rating, I have rounds that are going to be 24-30" diameter but about 16" long...

It's also on sale, the 30ton one being $10 more than the 24 ton one, but how on earth would I put this thing together myself and get it off the truck.. ack.

Jay

velvetfoot said:

I am going to remove the front stand and install a box beam 3x4 i think 5 foot long and put my hitch coupler on that. Then put a tongue jack with a wheel on the front. This way I can roll it around . I won't need to hold the beam and put the pin in the front stand.when I take it off my tractor. This will help when changing to vertical too. The Damn thing sure is fun though. I was also thinking I could use the hitch coupler on the end of the beam and mount a ball on the tongue in the right spot and I won't need to use pins. Sorry if this is confusing, I know how to do it ,just hard to explain.

Jay H said:
Anybody own and use that 22 ton TSC splitter they sell, was up by one over the weekend and was just casually looking at it... $1000...

Jay

I have the 22 ton, had it a little over a year. I've put about 10 cords thru it, no complaints. It's busted everything i've thrown at it including elm, oak, hickory, sycamore and some real knarly crotches. It slows down on the huge nasty crotches but it powers through everything i've placed in front of it. starts up 1st or 2nd pull.

Jay H said:
I notice the ones that Lowes sell (27 ton for $1350) use Honda engines.. which I generally hear good things about... I need to get a trailer hitch though.

How hard are they to move around? I know a lot of them are like 500lbs or so, being on a small grass lot, is the only way to really move them around is via your car? If I wanted to move it from my driveway to the back of my house, would I be able to without having to move it with my car?

Jay

I hate to say it, but the Honda engine is really hard to beat. As far as moving the splitter by hand, I've had no problem at all with that. The axle being set back a bit takes some weight off the tongue and makes it easy to lift and move.

I think I am going to go with the lowes and have my father sign up for a lowes card to get 10%. As good as the HF one looks pricewise, add shipping, hassle of me trying to move 600lbs by myself and installing it with jacks and whistles... I think it might be safer for me to simply buy the one at Lowes..

I just bought a rachet cable pulley from Baileys that looks nice and my visa card is quickly burning a hole through my pocket. But fortunately, I got a ton of money back from the US fed due to my mortgage and I put off my log siding repair til next year so I have some cash to spend and I'm doing a good job at it!!!!

Jay

Jay H said:
I have some cash to spend and I'm doing a good job at it!!!!

Jay
Isn't it amazing how much saving money on your utility bill by heating with wood can cost :lol:

Yeah, has anybody tried to split things other than wood? Neighbors, small kids, watermelons?

Jay

just kidding on the small kids, if the feds are listening. :)

Yup, coconuts! Works great just have to be quick with the shut-off lever.

Brownie,
I've been using my splitter with the Robin engine at lower than max speed.
Still no problem with that practice on your machine?

VF: The honda that comes with the MTD/TB splitter has a fixed throttle, however, it just consists of the normal lever that is attached to a spring! I bet if I remove the spring itself, I could adjust the throttle on it if I ever wanted too...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.