Huskee or swisher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Starting to look at splitters at TSC, planning on a spring price reduction. Might pull he trigger now if I can get a deal. Both have same engine, I think., a B&S 190 They carry both in 22 tons. Anybody have a preference and why?

All I can say is I'm happy with my huskee 22 ton. You should be able to talk with the manager and get the $ 999 price they run once a month or so. Good luck

Reactions: osagebow
I liked the wedge design , cradle beam, full length beam, cylinder mountitng & hyd pump mounting on the Speeco better than the Swisher.
IMO, speeco a little better & heavier duty built.
Not sure which Swisher you're looking at though.

I like the beam and cradle a lot better on the new Huskee. That's my biggest complaint with mine, besides the engine rattling apart. Dirt and trash build up near the foot, and the new ones have holes there so stuff falls out. Don't know if they actually work or not, but looks like they should.

I know a few people with the Huskee splitter it is a beast ! I borrow one on occasion splits darn near anything you put on it. I don't know anybody with a swisher though.

Pete

I like the beam and cradle a lot better on the new Huskee. That's my biggest complaint with mine, besides the engine rattling apart. Dirt and trash build up near the foot, and the new ones have holes there so stuff falls out. Don't know if they actually work or not, but looks like they should.

The holes do help keep the beam clear. Works pretty good

I've got about 4 tanks of gas through my 22 ton Huskee. I'm a little impressed with it. It's cranked through some seriously gnarly stuff already.

'preciate all the replies. Probably gonna get the Husky 22 in a few months. Splitting locust and sass by hand right now for 2013-14, and piling up some medium oak rounds for 2015-16 I can split in the spring. Have oak heavy mix for 14-15 under various sketchy covers since may. 2 cord wood shed (with tarp covering this year's burnable scrounge buffet) to be roofed soon.

'preciate all the replies. Probably gonna get the Husky 22 in a few months. Splitting locust and sass by hand right now for 2013-14, and piling up some medium oak rounds for 2015-16 I can split in the spring. Have oak heavy mix for 14-15 under various sketchy covers since may. 2 cord wood shed (with tarp covering this year's burnable scrounge buffet) to be roofed soon.
Haven't really seen any "deals" on splitters in the spring. Our local TSC sells them year-round and I never see a 22-ton sitting in front of the store for long. If you can get the $999 deal, I say take it.

These are also the 2 splitters I am trying to choose between....
TSC has the huskee and farm home and family has the swisher.

I wish I could the swisher out and see how it is.

I know the huskee rocks since I have been using my cousins all summer

They arent far apart. I bought a Huskee 2 months ago and LOVE IT. the main reasons why I bought the huskee are the name behind them...Speeco is huge, TSC..I have never had a problem with anything I have purchased at TSC. Parts are readily available at TSC. You might find a lemon here or there, but whats 1 lemon in a bushel....I'd go for the Huskee

Jeff

Thread bump for plowboy

Talked to the gal at TSC this afternoon. The 22 ton Huskie will be on "Black Friday Only" sale at $999 again. Limited to in store stock. My closest store has 2, and will be open at 6:00 am. I was definitly thinking of getting something bigger, but its tempting.......... A definite step up from the Monster Maul, but I feel like I'll want something more down the road. Decisions, decisions........

Jhoff310 ...... love that avatar

I have the 22 ton Huskee and it's really all the splitter I need. I've personally run about 7 cord through it since I purchased it last winter and I've found nothing it won't tackle. A good friend borrowed it to split another 2 cord and he said it was a great splitter also.

Don't get hung up on the Black Friday sale either. If TSC sell's out of there stock on Black Friday they will offer the $999 again in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.