1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Huskee splitter question/poll

Post in 'The Gear' started by Bocefus78, Dec 17, 2012.

?

Ok, who has been bitten by this thing?

1. It got me good-blood involved

6.7%
  2. It pinched me but escaped without bleeding

13.3%
  3. Never has happened to me

73.3%
  4. I ripped that death trap off before I ever fired it up and replaced it with a folding/crank up wheel

6.7%
  1. Bocefus78

Bocefus78 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just Outside Indy
    Osage's new huskee thread made me wonder....Who has lost blood due to the ridiculous design of the folding leg on the huskee 22 ton? This may also affect the higher tonnage models as well.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    My 35-ton Huskee has a different style of leg so it hasn't been an issue. SpeeCo (makers ofHuskee) changed their design on the 22-ton model by adding a loop handle on the tow arm above the leg because of the issue you mentioned.
  3. MnDave

MnDave Guest

My finger got pinched once. That folding leg design is a PITA. I replaced it with a $20 trailer jack. Good for leveling as I am on a slight hill when I split.

MnDave
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Burning Hunk

Loc:
    No. Va.
    My Huskee 22-ton (purchased new last year) came with the same style leg as as the 35-ton. It is nice to adjust the level when the ground is not perfectly flat. I have never seen another 22-ton with the same leg.
    TreePointer likes this.
  5. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Poor design especially if you try to hook it up to a low ATV ball.
    Quick teacher to have it folded & pinned up before trying to hook the splitter up ;)
    Will replace mine some day but not with a jack type. I like the sliding stand so I can go low to the ATV ball.
    Now it stays down until hooked to the higher ATV ball then I fold it up.

Before I made the ATV hitch the
    Safe way to use it is to fold it up & pin it while resting the hitch on your knee (or on something a bit taller), before you try to hook it to the ball.

ATV hitch is useful for other trailers too. Log splitter mostly stays attached to the ATV when I split.
    ATV hitch:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/atv-hitch-for-wood-splitter-back-saver.66485/

100_6026.JPG
  6. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I'm 1 for 1 so far :) - but have the newer version with the handle and was warned before using LOL....
  7. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

thanks bogeydave! - i was kind bummed at how low it rode on my ATV and was thinking of how to fix that- awesome set up!
  8. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I've been lucky so far. I have gloves on 99.9% of the time when I'm hooking it on the atv, so the injury should be minimized when it happens.
  9. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I missed that post, guessing u pinched fingers in the folding leg?
  10. Fifelaker

Fifelaker Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Mi
    My new one has the handle. The one a friend has does not. I have many more hours on my friends I will grab in front of the pivot point with my left hand and lift, then pivot the leg up and hold it with my right. Set it on the ball then put the pin in.Never been pinched this way. That said I welded a handle on his, makes it much more user friendly.
  11. muncybob

muncybob Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Near Williamsport, PA
    Also have the handle and luckily it sits about level on the back of my tractor. But if I ever get pinched things will change!
  12. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I don't have any problems with mine.

On the ATV topic, my dad's Polaris sportsman has a factory 2" receiver. The splitter sits perfectly level with a 6" rise hitch.

My Rubicon has a ball mount attached to the rear axle which is way too low to use the splitter while still hitched up. I’m thinking of making something similar to BD’s setup, except I’ll just hang it from the rear rack. That’s pretty far down on the list of projects right now.
  13. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Burning Hunk

Loc:
    No. Va.
    The one modification that I have made to my 22-ton is to add a coupler handle. Northern Tool sells the Ultra-Tow Lifter Coupler Handle for $5. Shipping is more than the cost of the item. You remove the nuts from the coupler bolts, put the handler in place, and put the nuts back on. Voila! Instant handle for cheap.

It makes moving the splitter around by hand much easier. Here's a picture of one.

1073258351_640.jpg
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I did the same thing but did it before any fingers got pinched. Makes hooking on easier and also easy to move around by hand.