Husky 141 Chain is always running.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lctatlp

Oct 6, 2011
North Shore, MA
I think this may be the culprit. I'm not an expert but with a busted spring I would guess this may be the problem.
This so very dangerous when I run the saw. Everyone that helps me out, I have to tell them to step away. The chain is always spinning.
Can you guys give me some advise on this? Is it as simple as replacing that spring that looks broken or there more involved?

Attachments

• 1102110017.jpg
    1102110017.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 1102110017a.jpg
    1102110017a.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 289
Don't take many RPMs for the clutch to bite. LOL
Yes, that should do it, if there is no excessive wear on the drum good to go.
Chain brake good?

If the spring is available as a apart got for it. Weak or broken springs in any clutch will make that happen.

Yep. Spring can do that. Also, idle set too high can engage the clutch.

Also, is your chain brake working? Use that when the saw isn't in wood. Good habit to get into.

Although, I'm guessing that if you locked the chain brake down, then the engaged clutch put a lot of drag on the engine and killed the saw, no?

When I engage the chain brake the saw dies. Not sure where the problem might be. maybe it needs a new clutch?

lctatlp said:
When I engage the chain brake the saw dies. Not sure where the problem might be. maybe it needs a new clutch?
Might need a new clutch, but That spring is likely the culprit. Go to arboristsite.com find the thread to ask for manuals and IPLs and do so for your saw.

Look really carefully at the IPL and see if you can get just the spring, or if you need to buy a whole new clutch. This is an easy fix, but ou need to get it done for safety reasons.

If this is your main battle wagon and you cut alot in the fall winter, I would think about replacing the whole clutch.

lctatlp said:

If the chain brake kills the engine, then your clutch isn't "clutching"...it is just stuck in an engaged position which is causing the chain to always spin.

I bet the spring fixes the issue, but a new clutch may be in order if you've run it like that for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.