1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Husky 141 Chain is always running.

Post in 'The Gear' started by lctatlp, Nov 2, 2011.

1. lctatlp

lctatlp Member

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    I think this may be the culprit. I'm not an expert but with a busted spring I would guess this may be the problem.
    This so very dangerous when I run the saw. Everyone that helps me out, I have to tell them to step away. The chain is always spinning.
    Can you guys give me some advise on this? Is it as simple as replacing that spring that looks broken or there more involved?

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Don't take many RPMs for the clutch to bite. LOL
    Yes, that should do it, if there is no excessive wear on the drum good to go.
    Chain brake good?
  3. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    If the spring is available as a apart got for it. Weak or broken springs in any clutch will make that happen.
  4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Yep. Spring can do that. Also, idle set too high can engage the clutch.

Also, is your chain brake working? Use that when the saw isn't in wood. Good habit to get into.

Although, I'm guessing that if you locked the chain brake down, then the engaged clutch put a lot of drag on the engine and killed the saw, no?
  5. lctatlp

lctatlp Member

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    When I engage the chain brake the saw dies. Not sure where the problem might be. maybe it needs a new clutch?
  6. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Might need a new clutch, but That spring is likely the culprit. Go to arboristsite.com find the thread to ask for manuals and IPLs and do so for your saw.

Look really carefully at the IPL and see if you can get just the spring, or if you need to buy a whole new clutch. This is an easy fix, but ou need to get it done for safety reasons.
  7. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    If this is your main battle wagon and you cut alot in the fall winter, I would think about replacing the whole clutch.
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    If the chain brake kills the engine, then your clutch isn't "clutching"...it is just stuck in an engaged position which is causing the chain to always spin.

I bet the spring fixes the issue, but a new clutch may be in order if you've run it like that for a while.