Husky 142=Great little saw....Chain=stinks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

streeter69

Dec 19, 2007
Arizona
I was carving up 20+ inch Tamarack and Eucalyptus trees. They where dropped over 5 years ago and mostly very dry (they came from california desert). That little power head had great usable power for its size. I have no problem rec. this unit to anyone!

The chain is another story!! It is (for me) useless! I was at my father in-laws house and the bar was smoking (YES, I do know how to cut). He admitted to me he makes about 10 cuts on his old homelite then sharpens due to how dirty the wood is. Today, I tried to recut some big logs to split and the chain started to smoke, sooo I stepped over to some pine I had to cut and it went thru like a hot knife cutting butter.

Can I use an older 142 bar with a .050 gauge so I can run a carbide tipped chain? "OO" and by the way does anyone make a carbide chain for the 142?

142 should be running 3/8" low-profile chain, right? If yes, then no, there is no carbide option for your saw. Even if there was, it wouldn't have the oomph to pull it anyway. To my knowledge the carbide stuff (tipped and electrodeposited stuff) is only available in standard 3/8" and .404" pitch.

If you're still running safety chain, you might find that good non-safety chain will yield more satisfactory results. Otherwise...cutting hard, dry, dirty wood is a pain!

no carbide that I am aware of but any kind of chain you want to run is just a sprocket and bar change away.

I ordered 1 new oregon bar (.050) and 2 91vg chains and 2 91vx chains. I just hope these chains last on this dirty wood.

Cutting dirty wood, carbide would be your best bet for sure. But if you cant find that, and can keep your cuts relatively clean, the Stihl RS chains cut better than any I have found.

I would second the comments on avoiding bumper link "safety chain" - I've had particularly poor luck with the Oregon 91VG chain - seems like they spent so much effort to make it "safe" that they forgot that the only reason people would be using it is to cut...

The other thing I would suggest is possibly considering a shorter bar, on my 36cc Poulan, going from the 16" bar that it came with, to a 12" bar turned it from an anemic cutter at best, to a little wood eating monster, a far greater improvement than a simple chain swap... I like the recomendation that I've seen of looking for a bar length that gives 3-4cc of engine for every inch of bar.

Gooserider

Thanks for the replies all.

Goose, sure now you say something after I just recieved a package from the brown truck :p

I recieved a 16" bar with 2 different chains. to be honest I can not tell the differance between the the 91vg and the 91vx?!?! All I can see is the different color link.

I will give a better update sunday or monday as I have to go and pickup more wood on saturday, this load will be ponderosa pine, but, I do have more tamarack to cut also and will see how both of these new chains cut (crosses fingers).

Question? Does anyone know of what stihl chain I can use and maybe try those, if these 2 chains do not hold up. I am getting differant stories if they actually make a carbide tipped chain for my little husky. I don't care about cost, I just want one that holds upto my abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.