Husky 22 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Saturday may be my maiden voyage with the splitter.

If your wood is already cut to length rounds, about how much can one person working expect to split per hour if each round is split into 1/4ths? I'm thinking there are less than 100 rounds total.

2 hours, for splitting. Add extra time if you have to move the rounds a long way to the splitter...and even more if you are talking about stacking too.

Reactions: firecracker_77
A cord + in 2 hours. As you work your experience will rise and you'll speed up. If the wood is stringy, it will take more time. Alot of wood will split with 1"of the wedge in it, and you'll be flying. Post pics...:)

A cord + in 2 hours. As you work your experience will rise and you'll speed up. If the wood is stringy, it will take more time. Alot of wood will split with 1"of the wedge in it, and you'll be flying. Post pics...:)

Yep...you learn tricks on how to best position the wood. My favorite trick for quartering rounds is to split them in half...then stack those two halves back together...rotate 90 degrees and do the "quartering" split on both halves at the same time. Saves a stroke on every round. As long as you get an couple inches of wedge on the top half it usually works good.

Yep...you learn tricks on how to best position the wood. My favorite trick for quartering rounds is to split them in half...then stack those two halves back together...rotate 90 degrees and do the "quartering" split on both halves at the same time. Saves a stroke on every round. As long as you get an couple inches of wedge on the top half it usually works good.

I do that also.

You funny guys and your little wood. When you get 20 or so splits from a round, you need to set aside chunks.

Attachments

• IMAG0394.jpg
    IMAG0394.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: MrWhoopee
This is a silly question perhaps...but how much gas will this thing burn in use for 5 hours perhaps. I have to make sure I'm planning ahead. I don't want to waste time at the gas station mid project.

This Saturday may be my maiden voyage with the splitter.

If your wood is already cut to length rounds, about how much can one person working expect to split per hour if each round is split into 1/4ths? I'm thinking there are less than 100 rounds total.

Nobody can reasonably answer that question because different wood takes different amounts of time to split. In addition, the size of the rounds matters a lot. On top of that, you no doubt will not be as quick your first year as you will be later on.

Perhaps the biggest tip anyone can give is to not use the splitter any more than necessary. For example, let's say you are splitting something like ash or soft maple or red oak. There simply is no good reason to use the splitter's full length. Many times you'll just hit the split with the wedge and the wood will split. No need to go further with the wedge. Same thing when bringing the wedge back up. Take it only as far as necessary to get the next round in there. No need of running the wedge all the way up or down.

In addition, it sounds like your rounds are already cut so they are probably stacked. This helps a lot. I run the splitter right along side of the stack so that the stack is on my left. The control handle is on the right and many times you can be reaching for your next round while still operating the splitter. So this means getting the wood in from the left and throwing it to your right.

It is also natural to not work any harder than necessary and this is only one of the good reasons for sitting while splitting and splitting vertically, the same as you would if splitting by hand.

You'll fill the tank around 3 times in 5 hours. The tank is relatively small, and any fuel left in the tank after a week will evaporate. Always keep an extra spark plug handy. Mine fouled out within 6 mos. You sound like you'll be splitting soon, don't forget the pics ;)

Wood is mostly white oak rounds averaging probably 30-60 pounds

I don't recall splitting any white oak myself yet, however the pin oak I had was somewhat stringy and took some time, but the red oak split so fast with just the forward edge of the wedge about an inch in. Split a cord in no time.

The white oak I get can be very stringy. I made a steel plate to slip over the foot so the wedge is about 1/4" from hitting it. It will split 99% of the stringy stuff. Before I made the plate I had to flip the round over to get in two pieces. I also made a side table which helps a bunch when you split horizontal. I cant sit that low to the ground long enough to get any thig done.

You funny guys and your little wood. When you get 20 or so splits from a round, you need to set aside chunks.
I got 76 splits out a round of pin oak this summer! Was 44" round and a heavy SOB.

I got 76 splits out a round of pin oak this summer! Was 44" round and a heavy SOB.

I have one of those. Guessing weight is somewhere around 250-300 pounds. That's too heavy to mess with. it'll be the last one I mess with.

I have one of those. Guessing weight is somewhere around 250-300 pounds. That's too heavy to mess with. it'll be the last one I mess with.
Ya it was a beast, had to hack away at the edges with the splitter in vertical til I got it into manageable pieces.

Got a couple more than 20 from this one.

Big Hedge.jpg

Wood is mostly white oak rounds averaging probably 30-60 pounds

You should be able to get through a cord of that pretty quickly. The rounds aren't heavy for sure and if it isn't too stringy, you won't have to put the wedge it in very far. Sounds like some sweet splitting. Sit down and have some fun!

watch your hands, i dont mean the obvious stuff - when you get a tough split dont leave your hand on top

i built a heavy duty log catcher table for mine that really save the old back

Going good so far. I'm three tanks in. I'm resting right now as I write this. Will post some pics of course later on.

Some of that oak is very stringy. I can't imagine doing this by hand. I'm far too soft for that work.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I bought a speeco 22 ton last fall. Biggest complaint I have is the small gas tank. Bought the side table as well. That was money well spent. Haven't found anything it won't split yet.

Going good so far. I'm three tanks in. I'm resting right now as I write this. Will post some pics of course later on.

Some of that oak is very stringy. I can't imagine doing this by hand. I'm far too soft for that work.

Still waiting on pics . :)

splitter1.JPGsplitter2.JPG

Wood on either side of the splitter is what I accomplished today. This little splitter had no problems with all but one knotted twisted up piece that can be sawed up more. I am quite pleased with the Huskee 22 ton. A good bang for your buck.

Attachments

• splitter2.JPG
    splitter2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 129
  • splitter1.JPG
    splitter1.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 117
  • splitter2.JPG
    splitter2.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: WellSeasoned
Very nice pics. Glad to hear your happy with the husky. Looks like some technical splitting. Nice size pile! Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.