Husky 346 xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

djblech

Feeling the Heat
Jul 7, 2008
Bruno MN
I finally found a dealer that will get me this saw. I went to 4 dealers and not one had a 346 xp or would order one for me. They all said buy a Stihl. I finally found one that would order the saw and they tried to convince me to buy a Stihl. I have 2 Stihl saws, a 180 and a 036 pro. I just want to try a different saw, one that rev's higher. I thought about a Dolmar, but no dealers within 50 miles. From what I have read here, I think this will be a little lighter saw that will cut most of my wood. It comes with an 18" bar and .325 chain .050 pitch. What do I need to do to change to 3/8s chain or shouldn't I do that.
Thanks
Doug

14700 rpm saw it is a nice one! 50cc saw I would stick with the .325 its going to be quicker.

I'm running 95VP low-kickback (not safety) chain on my 346 and it cuts really nice. I think you'll find you like the 346XP for most jobs where you don't need a big bar because it's such a light nimble saw. I find I use it more than my 372 on most wood smaller than 14". (I have a 16" bar on mine)

Congratulations! It is a great saw and good job not giving in to the Stihl pressure. The 346XP is the best saw in its class!

wendell said:
Congratulations! It is a great saw and good job not giving in to the Stihl pressure. The 346XP is the best saw in its class!

Did Yous Say That Out Loud?

Why, yes I did.

wendell said:
Why, yes I did.

Thats what I thought you said! lol husky offten gets over look for the reason the OP said It is the real deal for on a 50cc saw....

I just picked up a 2145 to go to the woods with my 2171 and while I haven't used it much it seems to be a good saw.

Billy

From what I've read you probably want to stick with Oregon 95VP or WoodlandPRO 20NK. They are what I use on my Husky 353. The .325 narrow kerf drags the saw down a lot less while you are bucking but seems to get through the wood pretty quick.

The only down side to that setup I see is that the 95VP doesn't want to bore cut at all and the 20NK doesn't do it well. How often are you boring little stuff that you wouldn't want to pull out a larger saw for anyway?

TMonter said:
I'm running 95VP low-kickback (not safety) chain...
"Low-kickback not safety" is an oxymoron. Low kickback IS considered safety chain.

Would "meets the low kickback standards but it doesn't have the dreaded bumper links" like Carlton's K1NK-BL be a better description? :)

K1NK without the -BL is a good chain for these saws as well.

I'm not familiar with the Carlton chain but the 95VP does have the dreaded sloped guard drive links that climb up on the chips and doesn't let the rakers move them along like a good yellow chain does.

Hmm. Your right! I've been using the 20NK and K1NK so long I forgot why I liked it better (other than price).

I picked up the saw today. I almost didn't get it. The kid that put it together couldn't get it started. Turns out he had the chain alongside the sprocket and it was binding. Just as I was about to get my money back the tech came running up and said they figured it out. Got home and went out to my wood stack. Cuts 10"-14" birch with no problem. I only cut for about 45 min, so far I think its a keeper. I picked up 3 extra chains and a couple files. Tomorrow I will give it a workout.
Doug

if you dont mind what did you pay?

I payed $459.00. I gave the saw a workout Sat, about 2 tanks of gas. I had to hit the chain with a file 2 times. I really like this saw, and I don't mind the chain either. It cuts fast and doesn't kick or buck as much as my Stihl with 3/8 chain. In all fairness I have the rakers ground down on the Stihl chains. The husky starts quick, cuts quick, it didn't give me a pain in my back like my heavier saw. So far so good.
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.