Husky 359 trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Im having a bit of trouble with my husky 359.
The saw is 5 yrs. Last year I changed out the spark plug and air filter.
This past April I cut a few trees up with no issues, she ran like brand new.
Last week I went to fire the saw up to cut a small dead cherry, the saw would fire up, I would throttle it and when ever I would release the throttle the saw will suddenly quit.
The fuel is fresh, mixture of 30:1 using 93 gas.
I checked the plug, it was fine, I pulled the air filter, still clean.
Compression is great, I still press that little button in on the side of the saw to start it, when starting the saw fires up right away like normal.
I'm going to mix to sea foam in the fuel tank and run the saw a couple times maybe to clean the carb jets? Is it also possible to have a worn out fuel line in the tank? It almost sound like it grabs air for a millisecond before dying when I let off the throttle.
Any help is greatly appreciated

I'm betting it's the impulse line/hose.

If you're comfortable, put some fuel in a spray bottle and remove your air cleaner and give it a few shots to try to keep it going after it starts. If it runs good with fuel sprayed in, it's likely the impulse line.

There's likely 2 hoses going into your carb. One of them will go right down to the fuel tank, the other one will disappear towards the front of the motor, where it attaches to a nipple on the jug. If the impulse line looks great, pull off your carb and clean it. It could also be the in tank fuel filter, or if you used ethanol, the carb might need to be cleaned, or have a carb kit put in it. Good luck.

Reactions: kennyp2339
I have the same saw and had similar issues. A lot of what I read online talked about the original Walbro carb having issues because of the accelerator pump in it. Many recommended swapping to a Zama carb, which has no accelerator pump. I did that just a few weeks ago and my problems went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that saw, check the clamp on the carb intake adapter (Husqvarna part number 503 86 62-01). On lots of the saws (Husky 350 series), Husky cheaped out & started with a nylon hose clamp. Over time, that stretches/weakens & allows an air leak. This can kill your saw.

If the clamp is plastic, there are metal replacements available from lots of sources (such as https://northwoodsaw.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1619 ).

From an outsiders point of view....isn't that a little rich? Don't they run 40:1 and 50:1 these days?

If it was me, I'd blast the jets in the carb with carb and choke cleaner and see what that gets you.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
I appreciate everyone's input, 1st thing I'm going to do is inspect the fuel line, and carb, regardless I will clean the carb with cleaner.
This is def a fuel delivery issue when at idle. I had a large limb come down 2 weeks ago, the only way I could cut it up was to start the saw and keep on the throttle, the saw would just quit if the throttle was let go, but with pressure on the throttle no issue at all.

I appreciate everyone's input, 1st thing I'm going to do is inspect the fuel line, and carb, regardless I will clean the carb with cleaner.
This is def a fuel delivery issue when at idle. I had a large limb come down 2 weeks ago, the only way I could cut it up was to start the saw and keep on the throttle, the saw would just quit if the throttle was let go, but with pressure on the throttle no issue at all.

That's exactly how mine had been running before the carb swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on everything you've said, I'd maybe try one last thing. Pull the muffler and clean the screen if you haven't. With that much oil, you could have a dirty spark arrestor. Drain the fuel, put in fresh ethanol free with 40-1 oil and a couple of ounces of seafoam in the tank. Try to keep it running, then adjust the Low circuit, and then the High and then the idle, then the low again, and back and forth, and see if you can get that transition to a place where it will run well again. See if you can find a happy place.

But, if I was a betting man, I'm in agreement with the above suggestion to swap out to the upgraded carb with the accelerator pump, seems to improve these saws, and is an easy fix. But I'd check your muffler, try a touch of seafoam, and play with the carb settings first. There's lots of info on the specifics of the 3 carb adjustments if you google it, and the procedure is pretty simple. But I'd try the no cost/ low cost options first before I'd swap the carb just to see.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I was at my dealer this past Saturday getting a new air filter for my scag, I ended up ordering a new carb for $75.00, i'll just switch it out and tune it according.

I was at my dealer this past Saturday getting a new air filter for my scag, I ended up ordering a new carb for $75.00, i'll just switch it out and tune it according.

Any update on your saw?

The carb is in, was going to pick it up last Saturday but had to work instead, gona try this Saturday.
That's what stinks about living in a commuter town, by the time you get home from work all the local businesses are closed for the day

Thanks for the update!