Husky 359 vs 346xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
About a week ago I was reading another post regarding the Husky 346xp. One reply mentioned upgrading from a 359 to a 346xp. Looking on the Husqvarna site, the 359 had higher cc's and higher hp. The xp revved about 1000 rpm higher and was a little lighter. Are there more differences than this that I am not seeing? Seem to me the higher hp saw would be more powerful. Please educate me o wise ones of the forum.

The 346XP NE is about on par with the stock 359, but it weighs less. Weight means a lot when you spend some time sawing.

Depending on wood size and how much you cut the 346XP might not be my recommendation for a primary saw.

I see your point on the weight issue. My 359 can get heavy after a long day of cutting, especially with a 24 inch bar on it. I definately like having the smaller 136 to do my limbing and smaller work, especially for the higher stuff. I have always been very happy with my 359, so I was curious why so many opted for the 346xp instead.

It's the power to weight ratio. Like TMonter says, it's a good saw to use if you want to cut smaller (< 16") wood all day and it's great for limbing.

I can't imagine a 346xpNE being a good substitute for a 359, unless your 359 is still breathing (or trying to) through its unmodified cat muffler. While they have hopped it up a bit in terms of torque and a wider powerband, it is still a 50cc saw.

Maybe what is tiring you out is the 24" bar on a saw that would much prefer to be wearing a 18" one. I've found that saws tend to give their best results when a 3:1 or even 4:1 ratio of cc:bar length is maintained. Balance, in my hands at least, is improved, cutting performance is improved, and the saws feel a good bit more nimble. My two cents, anyway.

computeruser said:
I can't imagine a 346xpNE being a good substitute for a 359, unless your 359 is still breathing (or trying to) through its unmodified cat muffler. While they have hopped it up a bit in terms of torque and a wider powerband, it is still a 50cc saw.

Maybe what is tiring you out is the 24" bar on a saw that would much prefer to be wearing a 18" one. I've found that saws tend to give their best results when a 3:1 or even 4:1 ratio of cc:bar length is maintained. Balance, in my hands at least, is improved, cutting performance is improved, and the saws feel a good bit more nimble. My two cents, anyway.

Totally agreed on the ratio question - I have a Poulan home owner grade saw, with a 36cc engine. It came with a 16" bar, and never really cut all that well, even with a new chain. After reading about the bar ratio suggestion, I got a 12" bar and chain, and the saw turned into a tiny wood eating monster... It's still a homeowner saw, but it is great for small stuff and limbing.

Of course now I need to get a bigger saw for the larger rounds (I know this saw should be able to handle up to 24" but I've never had much luck double cutting that wide...) - I'm thinking in terms of a 60-70cc saw, preferably pro-grade, probably use it with an 18-20" bar most of the time, but would like to be able to throw a 24" on for the occasional big rounds... I really need to go through the websites and back threads to make a list of what I'd consider, then start looking at used stuff - I can't afford new.

Gooserider

I agree that the saw performs better with a shorter bar. The original bar was a 20 incher. It really rips with that bar. I do use the 24 quite a bit and have never felt it lacked power. It rips through the oak I normally cut without any problems. I am still using the original muffler, but plan to play with opening that up this spring. Basically, the 24 inch bar satisfied the need for a larger cut without the expense of a larger saw. My local saw dealer told me it would handle it and it has. Can't wait to let the exhaust breathe a little and see what she does then.

HI Bjorn,

I am the guy that had the original post about upgrading from a 359 to a 346xp. Apart from the weight savings, with the same power, the big difference is the chain. The 359 has a larger chain with larger teeth and eats more wood. However, it would also get stuck more causing kickback (luckily, no accidents ever). The 346xp has a much smaller chain, but with the same power and higher speed, it never gets stuck. I have never had a kickback with the 346xp EVER. So it is safer for me to use: less tiring because of less weight, and zero kickback. And I will take the additional longevity being an XP as a bonus!!

The 359 was indeed stock. But performance was never an issue (except for the occasional kickback).

Very pleased that I made the switch.

CarpNiels

Status
Not open for further replies.