1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Husky 359 vs 346xp

Post in 'The Gear' started by bjorn773, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    About a week ago I was reading another post regarding the Husky 346xp. One reply mentioned upgrading from a 359 to a 346xp. Looking on the Husqvarna site, the 359 had higher cc's and higher hp. The xp revved about 1000 rpm higher and was a little lighter. Are there more differences than this that I am not seeing? Seem to me the higher hp saw would be more powerful. Please educate me o wise ones of the forum.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    The 346XP NE is about on par with the stock 359, but it weighs less. Weight means a lot when you spend some time sawing.

Depending on wood size and how much you cut the 346XP might not be my recommendation for a primary saw.
  3. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    I see your point on the weight issue. My 359 can get heavy after a long day of cutting, especially with a 24 inch bar on it. I definately like having the smaller 136 to do my limbing and smaller work, especially for the higher stuff. I have always been very happy with my 359, so I was curious why so many opted for the 346xp instead.
  4. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    It's the power to weight ratio. Like TMonter says, it's a good saw to use if you want to cut smaller (< 16") wood all day and it's great for limbing.
  5. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    I can't imagine a 346xpNE being a good substitute for a 359, unless your 359 is still breathing (or trying to) through its unmodified cat muffler. While they have hopped it up a bit in terms of torque and a wider powerband, it is still a 50cc saw.

Maybe what is tiring you out is the 24" bar on a saw that would much prefer to be wearing a 18" one. I've found that saws tend to give their best results when a 3:1 or even 4:1 ratio of cc:bar length is maintained. Balance, in my hands at least, is improved, cutting performance is improved, and the saws feel a good bit more nimble. My two cents, anyway.
  6. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Totally agreed on the ratio question - I have a Poulan home owner grade saw, with a 36cc engine. It came with a 16" bar, and never really cut all that well, even with a new chain. After reading about the bar ratio suggestion, I got a 12" bar and chain, and the saw turned into a tiny wood eating monster... It's still a homeowner saw, but it is great for small stuff and limbing.

Of course now I need to get a bigger saw for the larger rounds (I know this saw should be able to handle up to 24" but I've never had much luck double cutting that wide...) - I'm thinking in terms of a 60-70cc saw, preferably pro-grade, probably use it with an 18-20" bar most of the time, but would like to be able to throw a 24" on for the occasional big rounds... I really need to go through the websites and back threads to make a list of what I'd consider, then start looking at used stuff - I can't afford new.

Gooserider
  7. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    I agree that the saw performs better with a shorter bar. The original bar was a 20 incher. It really rips with that bar. I do use the 24 quite a bit and have never felt it lacked power. It rips through the oak I normally cut without any problems. I am still using the original muffler, but plan to play with opening that up this spring. Basically, the 24 inch bar satisfied the need for a larger cut without the expense of a larger saw. My local saw dealer told me it would handle it and it has. Can't wait to let the exhaust breathe a little and see what she does then.
  8. carpniels

carpniels Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    HI Bjorn,

I am the guy that had the original post about upgrading from a 359 to a 346xp. Apart from the weight savings, with the same power, the big difference is the chain. The 359 has a larger chain with larger teeth and eats more wood. However, it would also get stuck more causing kickback (luckily, no accidents ever). The 346xp has a much smaller chain, but with the same power and higher speed, it never gets stuck. I have never had a kickback with the 346xp EVER. So it is safer for me to use: less tiring because of less weight, and zero kickback. And I will take the additional longevity being an XP as a bonus!!

The 359 was indeed stock. But performance was never an issue (except for the occasional kickback).

Very pleased that I made the switch.

CarpNiels
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.