Husky 372XP - problem not solved - ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
Coincident, I'm sure. After solving the Stihl 026 problem, then a problem with my Husky, which always has run perfectly. It had been in a non-heated garage for a couple of months, some very cold periods well below 0F. I took it out to take down a large dead tree, the Husky started right up on choke, shut the choke off, hit the throttle, sputter and engine died. Repeated this several times. I could keep it fast idling by choking as the engine would start to die, but each time with the choke off and hit the throttle, engine would die. It also would not run on idle very long before the engine would die.

Since it runs on startup, does not appear to be a spark problem. Cleaned the air cleaner, not an air problem, and checked the spark arrestor screen, clean. Appears to be a gas supply problem. Any thoughts on further diagnosing the problem and getting the Husky running? Thanks.

I agree that sounds like a fuel delivery problem. First thing I'd check is the fuel line, in case a leak is allowing the carb to suck in air instead of gas. I've never worked on a 372, but on other Husky models I'm familiar with it's common for leaks to develop between the tank and crankcase casting, where the hose gets pulled and flexed during use.

Yep - everything Jon said. If none of that fixes it, you probably need a carb cleaning. An engine that will run on choke, but not without it is having a fuel issue. Fuel lines/filter, vacuum (leaks) and carb are the goto items.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Air leak. When they run on choke and won't when it is off . At high idle the carb is letting enough fuel in to keep it running but at idle not enough fuel to overcome an air leak. Do a vac and pressure check.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Status
Not open for further replies.