Husky 435 Tuning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Some of you may recall I bought a factory reconditioned 435. I didn't want to take any chances of leaning it out so I bought the spline tool and did my tuning following advice I got or was directed to from here. Turns out it was badly out of tune (smoking and unburned fuel mix out the exhaust) so that was a good move.

Saw runs pretty good now but occasionally it bogs when the bar is deep in a cut or if I leverage it too much. I purposely tried to keep it on the rich side so I don't burn up the piston. At one point I had it a little leaner and it was screaming but I got all paranoid that I was going to over heat it so I richened it up.

With bogging should I lean out the high side until that stops or play it safe and just let the chain do the cutting? I didn't pull the plug so I can't say much about that right now.

Also every now and then the saw runs away and won't idle down. Seems to happen when it's low on fuel or I've got the saw at a funny angle so I'm assuming the filter gets out of the fuel and it runs lean. Is that common or maybe it's something else I'm not thinking of?

You want to tune the H till it four strokes out of the cut at wide open. Then cleans up in the cut with moderate pressure.

If its acting weird check the filter and carb inner filter to assure its not stopped up partially and make sure the carb is in good condition. If that passes and is still running away and not responding to tune you have an air leak somewhere

I need more practice with hearing that burble. The run away seems to happen when I'm down to 1/4 tank and cutting vertical (backside) or something. I'll pull the filter from the tank and take a look. It settles down if I fill the tank or if I shut it down and pump the prime. I used the saw today, If I have a minute I guess I'll pull the plug and see what that looks like.

Yep to really tune it right you need to listen for the difference of 4 stroking and a clean 2 stroke sound.

Keep practicing you will eventually get it.

You can hold the throttle wide open and start turning the high side slowly in until you hear it start screaming and then gradually back it off until you hear it start to 4 stroke.

With that 4 barreling I don't really have the confidence. I did originally set up that way and it was running strong but I chickened out and richened it up since I kept reading these stories of saws being set too lean by the factory so they meet emissions causing guys to burn up their saws after just a few minutes running that way.

Any good way to know if your running too hot? I leaned it out a 1/8 turn for today from where it was and there's less bog but I think I could go a little further.

If you don't trust yourself to tune by ear on a stock saw go buy a tach and use that to tune. Once you alter anything go by ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.