Husky 450 experience?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jensent

Apr 22, 2010
central Ill
Has anyone had hands on a new Husky 450 in the field? I stopped by the local farm store and they had a 450 Anniversery addition for $320 plus tax. I am on my second 350 as the first was stolen . Also use my sons Stihl 360 pro, but its a little heavy by the end of the day. Im 65. Cut about 8 cords per season . The tree care contracter drops a truckload or two when I need it.
The only external change on the 450 was a single nut to hold the blade in place. I did not see any "toolless chain adjustment".
How much have you used your 450? Is the 445 the same except for the engine. How have any of this new 400 series saws performed?
Thanks for the help,
Tom

If weight is an issue why not Dolmar 5100, or Husky 346? they have significantly better power, adj. oil pumps, and good old fashioned bar fasteneres that keep on working.

Weight only matters when you're cutting. With more power you're on to loading that much quicker. That's why I'm thinking seriously of uping the displacement on my Makita/Dolmar 6400 to 79cc.

Keep your bar no longer than needed also. * cord is a good bit of cutting. Treat yourself right!

ATB,
Mike

If you think the 360 heavy I would look at the stihl 260 pro or the ms 250. or even the 180

I think you are referring to the 450e? I have the regular 450 with 20 inch bar and have been very happy with it. Does everything I've needed to so far. No problems. Little vibration. Not too heavy to use for hours at a time.

I have the 455, but only for 1 season. Working fine. A bit heavy. 20' bar can bog when buried.
If you have a 350 now, I don't see the point in adding a 450. Isn't the 450 heavier than 350? If you need good power & light weight, look at pro saws like 346XP or Dolmar 5100.

Status
Not open for further replies.