Husky 455 Rancher Auto Tune and more....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jensent

Apr 22, 2010
central Ill
Guys on the Arborsite are talking about recieving new 455 Ranchers with auto tune. They claim 460 Rancher auto tune saws should be arriving any day. Looked at Baileys site but they have non in stock. Auto tune may be available only from dealers. Baileys has some discounted prices, free shipping,and no sales tax on the Huskys as do many on Ebay.

Guys on the Arborsite are talking about recieving new 455 Ranchers with auto tune. They claim 460 Rancher auto tune saws should be arriving any day. Looked at Baileys site but they have non in stock. Auto tune may be available only from dealers. Baileys has some discounted prices, free shipping,and no sales tax on the Huskys as do many on Ebay.

Interesting. They sure are pushing out AutoTune on a much more aggressive schedule than their competitor is rolling out Mtronic.

Going to be a nice feature since Ethanol in our fuel supply is not going away any time soon

Going to be a nice feature since Ethanol in our fuel supply is not going away any time soon
Even nicer for those who do not know how and are not interested in properly tuning a saw. I think it will do well as a feature on mid-range saws.

Next up: Automatic chain tensioners. ;hm;lol

Thanks but I'll stick to old skool.......I'd rather tune it myself.....
not to mention tensioning the chain...;)
Next thing you know they'll have a 'smart saw' that won't even start if it don't like the tree you wanna cut!!

Do yourself a favor and go up a series.

Even nicer for those who do not know how and are not interested in properly tuning a saw. I think it will do well as a feature on mid-range saws.

Next up: Automatic chain tensioners. ;hm;lol

Thanks but I'll stick to old skool.......I'd rather tune it myself....
I get your point guys....but you are talking to a city boy who moved to the country 3 years ago and has to learn to survive from scratch..I sharpen my own chains now, and know how to tension them BTW, , (started by taking them to a "pro" who sucked and charged me), I did not even know how to mix fuel, I did not know how how to properly stack wood or fell a tree, so....guess what I am saying is some of us are still learning, I have come a long way but still have a long way to go, some of us will never be a master mechanic or maybe even a good one, but when our government screws up our fuel, now we get a little help from technology, that is all I was trying to say.

Reactions: Nixon and ScotO
I get your point guys....but you are talking to a city boy who moved to the country 3 years ago and has to learn to survive from scratch..I sharpen my own chains now, and know how to tensioned them BTW, , (started by taking them to a "pro" who sucked and charged me), I did not even know how to mix fuel, I did not know how how to properly stack wood or fell a tree, so....guess what I am saying is some of us are still learning, I have come a long way but still have a long way to go, some of us will never be a master mechanic or maybe even a good one, but when our government screws up our fuel, now we get a little help from technology, that is all I was trying to say.
Don, I'm not busting on you bud....trust me, I didn't know much about tuning when I started out years ago, either. The auto-tune saws are good for those that haven't been tinkering on them, no doubt about it....

And I'll tell you if you ever have any questions on your saws or OPE, there's lots of us on this site alone that will gladly do whatever we can to help you out.......

Don, I'm not busting on you bud....trust me, I didn't know much about tuning when I started out years ago, either. The auto-tune saws are good for those that haven't been tinkering on them, no doubt about it....

And I'll tell you if you ever have any questions on your saws or OPE, there's lots of us on this site alone that will gladly do whatever we can to help you out.......
Thanks Scotty, I am having an absolute blast learning all my new skills...when the BIG earthquake finally hits in CA I know I can at least take care of my family, but I have a lot of learning to do yet. I was always a great fly fisherman so I can supply fish and I can grow food well, but supply my own heat and all that goes with it? never had to think about it, but for some reason I find it amazingly fun.

Reactions: ScotO
Don't know if it's true but auto-tune is supposed to go a long way toward keeping saws from saws running lean due to malfunction (bad intake boot,etc) and damaging piston and cylinder. If this is true it would be worthwhile for that protection alone. Don't know it's capability. I'll have to keep reading. If someone has links to info please post.
On another subject of related interest, Stihl seems to have a full blown EFI on some of their concrete saws that might be useful for the timber saws.
Tom

Don't know if it's true but auto-tune is supposed to go a long way toward keeping saws from saws running lean due to malfunction (bad intake boot,etc) and damaging piston and cylinder. If this is true it would be worthwhile for that protection alone. Don't know it's capability. I'll have to keep reading. If someone has links to info please post.
On another subject of related interest, Stihl seems to have a full blown EFI on some of their concrete saws that might be useful for the timber saws.
Tom

This is dead-on.

The new AutoTune and systems like it can adjust the fuel/air mix before the operator even knows it's off. It can adjust for altitude, barometer, temperature and load, all without the operator giving it a second thought. And yes, it could also go a long ways toward adjusting for air leaks and preventing immediate damage to an engine as well.

I'd be absolutely tickled pink to see a new MS661 or MS881 come thru with Stihl's EFI system on it. Actually, the lack of current models sporting MTronic (while Husky continues to push AutoTune out up and down their line) has go me wondering if they intend to leapfrog right to EFI?

Next thing you know they'll have a 'smart saw' that won't even start if it don't like the tree you wanna cut!!

:lol:

Department of Agriculture working on that right now ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.