Husky 455

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazimere

Oct 29, 2007
Delmarva
I've got the chance to buy a new Husky 455 / 20" bar for 300.00.
Anyone own one or have any feedback on it ?

I owned one for two years. They're a decent saw if a bit heavy and work okay as a firewood saw. How much wood do you typically cut? If it's more than three cords a year I would recommend saving another hundred dollars and going for something a bit lighter with more or the same power.

What I found after two years of sawing with my 455 is that I was wanting something both lighter and with more power (I cut about 6 cord a year).

I have had mine for a couple of years now and I like it for what I do. $300 for that saw is a deal IF it was not abused too much.

I've had mine for 3 years. Good, dependable saw. It is a bit heavy if you cut a lot, I cut 6 to 8 cords a year. I switched mine to a 18 inch bar. I found the 20 inches was just too unwieldy.

TMonter said:
I owned one for two years. They're a decent saw if a bit heavy and work okay as a firewood saw. How much wood do you typically cut? If it's more than three cords a year I would recommend saving another hundred dollars and going for something a bit lighter with more or the same power.

What I found after two years of sawing with my 455 is that I was wanting something both lighter and with more power (I cut about 6 cord a year).

Lighter and more power ? What would you recommend ? I cut about 10 cords a season
and prefer a 20" bar.

Lighter and more power ? What would you recommend ?

What's your budget? That would play a lot into my decision.

The 346XP is about the same power and less weight, but if you're cutting that much wood I might look into a 357XP or 372XP in the husky lineup.

Hi -

I've cut with the 455. I shopped the Hsky 346XP, 353, and 359. I bought the Dolmar 5100... Light and strong. I cut about 10 cord/yr. I'd like a big saw but this one really does what I need so well.

All the best,
Mike P

I’ve cut with the 455. I shopped the Hsky 346XP, 353, and 359. I bought the Dolmar 5100… Light and strong. I cut about 10 cord/yr. I’d like a big saw but this one really does what I need so well.

The Dolmar is a great saw and if I were to get a new saw myself right now it would be a Dolmar 7900.

Status
Not open for further replies.