husky 51 oiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
i think my saw isn't using enough bar oil. the oil level is only about a third of the way down after a tank of gas. i suspect the oil pump is going bad. is it hard to replace a pump? and yes, i have cleaned the holes in the bar.
thanks in advance

I don't think it's hard to replace a pump but it probably requires some special tools and maybe some knowledge. I've never done it, but I think it's fairly routine.

You can adjust most oil pumps. Have you tried doing that?

I would Try cleaning the oil tank first maybe with some diesel fuel?

That's a good idea, wingnut. I think there might also be a filter in there. See if you can pull it out and replace it. That's probably your problem, come to think of it. I think when oilers go, they just flat out die. But then, it's hard to kill something that's immersed in oil.

eric ever done this. loosen the chain oil it up fill the oil tank with Kero and run it for atleast 5 minutes full bore
one if the chain is gummed up it usually cleans it. Two helps flush out the oil tank filter and oil port holes. If the pump is not working than the Kero will not be spraying off the bar.

If no Kero substitute it for paint thinner

Clean/replace the filter first and be sure not to run the saw without the bar and chain installed. That's an important safety point, as clutch drums can (and do) disintegrate when run without the benefit of the drag from the chain and bar. You will, in other words, exceed the design speed of the clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.