husky 61 with 110lbs compression...what to do...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
hey guys. well ive cut about 5-7 cords with the old '79 husky ... idles like a charm, and cuts good... but when im 18" deep in a sugar maple and shes grabby, ill have to pull out of the cut to get the chain going again.

its boggin a bit mid-cut

i checked compression.... 110-120lbs after 4 pulls .
30lbs 1st pull, then 70, then 90 , then cap at 120.

i know theres some 268 mods or whatever, but i was thinking ill just get a new cylinder and piston from ebay , no?

should i get the piston and cylinder? or just piston ? or ring?
im thinking the whole kit.

i still need to do the muffler mod, but this ol beast is loud enough!

so what shall i do? any recommendations on kits?

heres one i found with a 30day guarantee

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cylinder-piston...QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

im new to this.

so you mean take off the top, spark plug, and cylinder head should unbolt off from top, and just pop off piston ring and pop a new one on? should i change any gaskets?

then just make sure there is contact between the cylinder walls and the ring? before putting it all together?

so,

got the first ring, broke it ... hey everyone has their one ring to break. ordered another one from baileys and did the SMART thing and got the ring compressor kit(plastic red one) .
it had the same compression as before . but felt like it had a little more oomph with a 24" bar.
so all is well! if it aint broke........... you know the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.