husky won't run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

electromagn8

Feb 29, 2008
Duanesburg, NY
I have a husky 55 Rancher that starts, but will not stay running for more than 5 seconds. I have put fresh fuel in it (twice), thoroughly cleaned the carb (twice), changed the plug, and checked the fuel and air filters. I just thought that I would post here before I give up and take it to the shop. Thanks for your input.

Dave

Check the fuel line for cracks and try loosening the gas cap in case the vent is plugged.

Check that all the vaccum line is still conneced to the carb.

Check the screen on the muffler, fry the crud with a propane torch and brush it off good with a wire brush. (take the screen off first)

i'm liking mobetter's idea
that screen is a spark arrester and costs about $1.50 or so
if clogged it will restrict the exhaust to the point that it will not keep running
like the cleaning idea

Checked the muffler, cleaned and hit w/ the torch. Still no luck. I can bolw and suck through the fuel filter easily. It almost seems as though the fuel line sucks closed when saw is running, because it always starts just doesn't stay running?

Did you try loosening the gas cap?

I had this exact same problem with my Husky a few weeks ago....I tryed everything...and couldnt get it to run for more then several seconds ....so I got rid of it...and bought a electric chainsaw...and I love it...

FWIW , ALWAYS take the old gas out of these chainsaws...once they varnish up the carb, then you must tear it down, clean it, and replace gaskets, to try and get it running correctly again...

I almost guarantee it's the fuel line or the vent line. I had trouble with mine, and the Husq dealer I stopped at to buy a couple replacements said it is a common problem. I had the same symptoms...started up fine, then died after 5 or 10 seconds, or if I opened up the throttle.

well..heres a list of things I did..and still didint fix my husky problem..

cleaned the carberuator twice.

new plug

new fuel filter

new fuel line

cleaned air filter

cleaned muffler screen

adjusted carb

and it still wouldnt run long, or under load...

good riddens to it..I wont miss it one bit

rumme said:
well..heres a list of things I did..and still didint fix my husky problem..

cleaned the carberuator twice.

new plug

new fuel filter

new fuel line

cleaned air filter

cleaned muffler screen

adjusted carb

and it still wouldnt run long, or under load...

good riddens to it..I wont miss it one bit

Does the "good riddens to it ...I wont miss it one bit" statement mean you got rid of it or are planning on getting rid of it? If you are going to get rid of it I would like to know what you want for it I could use another project. (like a hole in the head) but please let me know what you plan on doing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.