Husquvarna 142

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeheat

Minister of Fire
Ok so here is the deal I Purchased a Husquvarna Chain saw off craigs list. 2008 model 142 40 cc saw 16 in bar. It needs a piston and jug. I priced the parts to replace it and looks like 80.00, shipped in . I can replace both , Is the saw worth making the repair or should I cut my loss and find a used stihl or husquvarna not the home depot verson. Need some help
I dont do much cutting maybe 2- 4 hours per summer
Thanks in advance

I have the "old" version, but it works great for me. Always starts, good power.

Hard to say if an $80 investment from here is a good idea. The Stihl fans will automatically tell you to go buy a Stihl, but you'll spend a lot more than $80. I've had good luck with Husquvarna.

That saw is basically a Poulan. The Husky models numbered 1XX or 2XX are made by Poulan. It's up to you, but I wouldn't put that money & work into it.

If you are only cutting 2-4 hours per year, I'd find a used Wild Thing on CL and go to town.

$50 and you're in like Flynn!

The 142 just ain't worth it.

Hit a couple of local Pawn shops with that 80 bucks.
Quite often you will find some decent old Iron for 50 bucks that just needs some TLC.

2-4 hours a year, dosn't mean you have to run crappy saws that are going to let you down when they are needed.;)

Take the 80 and add another 45 and a new Wild Thing is yours. Run mine over a decade now.

First, find out why it needs a new slug and jug.

$80 may not be bad if you can do all the work yourself and enjoy doing it.

Otherwise sell it for parts and pick up something else. If you need some leads on good used saws, let me know.

Also for your cutting needs, don't look past the Husqvarna 435. You can buy it at a box store, but I suggest a dealer. Good quality saw that won't break the bank.

Ran the wrong fuel in the saw and the piston is shot. I would like to find a fixer upper saw as not to break the bank bu a good saw.

Where are you in Ohio?

I know where there is a good running decent looking Stihl 025 for $150 in Ohio. Also a near new Jonsered 2050 old stock dealer demo.

Elyria, 30 minuets west of cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.