Husquvarna 2 cycle oil vs. Jonsered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think lube oil snobbery is funny, you should see what happens when it comes to fuel!

The only oil trouble I've had over the years was when I decided to get rid of some Pennzoil synthetic marine 2-stroke mix in my old craftsman chainsaw. About 15 minutes into the first use, the saw started loosing power and eventually came to a halt....piston and cylinder were terribly scored. I guess the marine oil which is designed for liquid / lake water cooled engines just couldn't handle the hot / air cooled saw.

I usually just grab a few bottles of Husky 2-stroke oil and most everything in the air cooled / land locked fleet, Pennzoil marine for the floating fleet, and Klotz Super Techniplate for the E85 powered motorized bike ... mainly because the alcohol/castor oil smell takes me back to the RC cars/planes of my youth!

I guess the marine oil which is designed for liquid / lake water cooled engines just couldn't handle the hot / air cooled saw.

This is simply not the case. You are 180 degrees out of your reckoning. Marine 2 stokes run at much closer tolerances than air cooled 2 strokes and make much higher demands on oil.

This is simply not the case. You are 180 degrees out of your reckoning. Marine 2 stokes run at much closer tolerances than air cooled 2 strokes and make much higher demands on oil.
Yep. That is why all of the chainsaw manuals tell you not to use marine type oil. To use specific air cooled rated oil only.

So if marine oil is superior in its lubricity why would it damage an air cooled engine? I could understand going the other way (air cooled being used in a water cooled), but it doesn't make sense for the superior oil to be a problem....unless there was another issue.

I have always been told by my local outboard mech, that the oil designed for water cooled engine can't handle the heat of an air cooled engine. It simply burns up without yielding the lube needed.

Google says there is a difference in heavy oil and additives between air cooled and water cooled. Something about the ash of air cooled being wanted/needed, but not acceptable for boat motors. I read it on the internet, so......;)

Last edited:
The way I look at it, I can pick up Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, or Jonsered 2-stroke oil, designed specifically for my chainsaws, at a dozen places between my house and my work. It's so cheap, I don't think I've ever even checked the price tag. Why bother debating other options?

Why bother debating other options?
Completely understand and agree.

I think the debate is that there is no difference between the two type when there clearly is and that they are not necessarily interchangeable (although there are oils rated for both but they are a bit pricey).

Reactions: Ashful
I use Bel-Ray H1R @32:1 in all my 2 cycle engines. I've seen first hand how clean it burns as well as the nice film of oil it leaves the metals surfaces......at least compared to Husky XP oil @ 50:1. Husky oil had less of a film and left more deposits at 50:1 than H1R at 32:1.

Reactions: EMB5530
I was in HD tonite and looked at 2 cycle oils - Homelite, Power Care, Echo brands - they all said "synthetic blend with fuel stabilizer - meets or exceeds JASO FD".

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
I was in HD tonite and looked at 2 cycle oils - Homelite, Power Care, Echo brands - they all said "synthetic blend with fuel stabilizer - meets or exceeds JASO FD".
I bought the Homelite 2 cycle oil last weekend at HD, synthetic and JASO FD is all I needed to see.

The largest outdoor equipment dealer around here sells Echo, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa and Dolmar in their 2 cycle line. They service any brand. We had some trouble with our Dolmar MS-22C trimmer last Spring, took it in and one of his less knowledgable mechanics wanted to replace the carb. The owner of the business got ahold of and it and cleaned out carb and replaced all the fuel lines, saved me some serious cash. He asked me what mix I was using and said Stihl full synthetic that a friend gave me several bottles. He claims they've seen more problems with Stihl's Synthetic mix than any other lately. He recommends Shindaiwa Red Armor mix and 93 octane ethanol free gas. He said he's had zero complaints with this combination. We have several stations that sell 93 ethanol free gas so that's no a problem around here.

http://www.redarmoroil.com/Shindaiwa.aspx

BTW: He also said don't get rid of that Dolmar trimmer, it's one the lightest ever made and is commercial rated but can't be sold here anymore because it won't meet the emissions standards.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
I'm not saying there's no difference, I'm saying air cooled 2 strokes are not that picky about premix oil.
Bought a couple cases of vintage 2 cycle oil at an auction for a song years ago. It was a mix match of 16 oz bottles.There were a half dozen marine oil bottles and it was one of the first bottles I grabbed to use for mix. I ran 5 gallons of mix through 2 saws with no adverse ill effects or performance issues. Read up by coincidence at the time about running it and decided against running the other bottles. Since I got it for next to nothing it gets mixed in the 4 stroke gas and diesel.
Used to get Shindaiwa oil. Cant get it anymore. When I run out of auction oil I'll run Supertech.

New pro chainsaw = $700 - $1500
Quality 2-stroke oil = less than $2 per gallon of mix

I just don't understand the logic in running anything but fresh new bottles of manufacturer-recommended oil. Why on earth would you buy a bunch of old marine oil at an auction, to run in very expensive saws, when 2-stroke oil is so inexpensive?

New pro chainsaw = $700 - $1500
Quality 2-stroke oil = less than $2 per gallon of mix

I just don't understand the logic in running anything but fresh new bottles of manufacturer-recommended oil. Why on earth would you buy a bunch of old marine oil at an auction, to run in very expensive saws, when 2-stroke oil is so inexpensive?
All the bottles were sealed. Valvoline.
Oil doesn't go bad.
I quit using the marine and it goes in the mower, trash pump ,welder,generator, and everything else 4-stroke. The reg 2 cycle out of those cases works fine. Been through a handful of quarts.
I'd be more concerned about ethanol gas. I have run a couple tanks and it runs like chit.

OT... but what's a trash pump??

Glad I have no need for one of those! ;sick

Ok, to change the debate a little, has anyone seen the new amsoil 2 cycle oil for small engines? They claim to have a 2 cycle oil that you mix 100:1 that you use in place of
50:1. I have no dought it will work but I am scared to try it. Again what is the point if the regular stuff works and is cheap. I do use amsoil oil and by-fliter in my diesel truck and think they do have a good product but not sure about the 100:1 2 cycle mix.

Amsoil seems to live everywhere and make lots of claims but do they stand behind it? I also live on motorcycle forums where they often claim double the oil change intervals on a bike. What do they offer in terms of warranties? Will they buy you a new chainsaw if the 100:1 doesn't work out for you or will they just give you another quart of oil to replace the one that failed?

The 100:1 (that's what it's called) is just one of Amsoil's premix oils and it's not new, it's been around for decades. I've never used it but I've used their Dominator oil off and on for 10+ years and it's never caused a problem for me.

Again: oil-related engine failures are exceptionally rare regardless of type or brand or ratio used.

Again: oil-related engine failures are exceptionally rare regardless of type or brand or ratio used.
Actually, I see quite a few oil-related engine failures on this forum and elsewhere. Specifically, failure to include oil... otherwise known as 'straight gassing'. ;lol

I use premium gas in all our 2 strokes. I do know that ethanol blends are not the best for them but there is no other choice in our area, they are all blends now.

Reactions: Ashful
I use premium gas in all our 2 strokes. I do know that ethanol blends are not the best for them but there is no other choice in our area, they are all blends now.
Ditto. Worst trouble I've had is having to dump some fresh gas in on top of the old stuff, when starting a machine at the beginning of its season.

AMSOIL in EVERYTHING!! I used to run AMSOIL interceptor in all my stuff until the lack of dye helped me straight gas a Jonsered (wrong can<>). Now I run AMSOIL Saber since it has dye.

Check out their website and their youtube testing videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.