Husquvarna 350 Problems and Price Check on a Makita 6401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spur0701

Jun 12, 2008
Southern Maryland
So I've got a Husquvarna 350, believe that I bought it from Bailey's more than 5 years ago, it's always run great and was enough saw. Last year the heat shield between the muffler and oil caseing broke off and before I noticed it melted a hole in the oil resivoir. I fixed that but then the muffler retaining screws began falling out, locktight fixed that the first couple of times but is no longer working. Some google searches revealed this is a fairly common problem with this saw. One post said something about the saw running hot because of the fuel mix but I've been useing 50:1 as specificed by the manual. In any event I may still be able to save the saw as a back up by using some E-Z Lok threaded inserts to reattach the muffler. However, have decided to replace it.....

......so after researching and making some calls I found a local HD tool center that is selling off some Makita 6401's since it's spring. The tool tech said they hadn't been priced yet but he would have them done by morning....so for those of you that have bought from HD tool rentals what price can I expect when I get over there tomorrow? Is there any bargaining room? Is there anything I should look for? I cruised eBay for 6401's but there's currently only one for sale.......also cruised around the net and found that Bailey's have them new on sale for $469.....is that a low enogh price to justify going new?

There is a lot of guys posting on AS that have got 6401's @ Home Cheapo. Most guys seem to be stating they have paid between 160-220 clams. There is a guy today that just got one and he paid 165. The potential is there to score a great bargain, but make sure you check the saw out good if you go that route.

Hi -
I got one in an urban HD that was it very nice shape. It had a new bar on it and almost no marks on it, not even on the bottom or from folks stepping in the handle to start it.

I've had it a year and a half or so and paid $300 with a couple chains. I put Stihl chain on it and saved the HD chain for dirt, roots, and prospecting to fence wire. I'm very happy with it. I'm feeling guilty when i look longingly at the 80cc+ jug & piston kits...

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Hi -
I got one in an urban HD that was it very nice shape. It had a new bar on it and almost no marks on it, not even on the bottom or from folks stepping in the handle to start it.

I've had it a year and a half or so and paid $300 with a couple chains. I put Stihl chain on it and saved the HD chain for dirt, roots, and prospecting to fence wire. I'm very happy with it. I'm feeling guilty when i look longingly at the 80cc+ jug & piston kits...

ATB,
Mike

GET IT GET IT GET IT!!!!!!!!!

the 84cc kit from Bailey's is AWESOME...... turns a mild beast into a WILD beast! Long no more my man and pull the trigger! The thing cackles like a hot small block with a big cam.

Attachments

• IMG_4977.jpg
    IMG_4977.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 365
Ideally, if you can get a seized or stragiht gassed one cheaper, then put the money to the OEM 79 cc kit you come out way ahead. Our local HD is about 200 for good ones, and they won't sell seized ones. they go the the crusher....... sick.
good saw at 64 cc, just nothing remarkable for the size and weight. But when it is the same weight, at 79 cc, one of the best deals going. I love mine, and it started out as a HD 64cc

Stopped by HD yesterday afternoon. They had two for sale but one was out on rental, they said rentals on these had been heavy the last month due to the heavy snows. Price was set by corporate and was $136. The tool tech that maintained them, Bill, was an ex-forest service guy and knew saws.....this one was missing one spike bar and needed a new chain, other than that and a few scratches was in good shape.......he'll call me when the other one comes in and I'm going to pick that one up for my dad......

spur0701 said:
So I've got a Husquvarna 350, believe that I bought it from Bailey's more than 5 years ago, it's always run great and was enough saw. Last year the heat shield between the muffler and oil caseing broke off and before I noticed it melted a hole in the oil resivoir. I fixed that but then the muffler retaining screws began falling out, locktight fixed that the first couple of times but is no longer working. Some google searches revealed this is a fairly common problem with this saw. One post said something about the saw running hot because of the fuel mix but I've been useing 50:1 as specificed by the manual. In any event I may still be able to save the saw as a back up by using some E-Z Lok threaded inserts to reattach the muffler.

I have the same saw with the same problem. drilled the holes in the side of the jug on either side of the exhaust port with a #7 bit and tapped with a 1/4" 20 and a bottom tap and haven't had any issue with the muffler falling off any more (also bought new 1/4 20 bolts) the heat shield with the muffler is relativley expensive.

I was at HD tonight getting some bar oil and stuck my head into the rental center out of curiosity. They do sell the used Makitas, although none were available today. I was told the price is set in Atlanta and is based on the number of times it was rented, but didn't get any numbers. The attendant told me that they are really abused, she didn't think I'd really want one. I think her approximate quotes were "Some of these people don't have a clue what they're doing" and "It's like buying a rental car". Given the general lack of chainsaw experience in the DC area, I can believe it. And I don't really need a new saw anyway. But if they're going for under $150 I'll probably stick my head in now and then when I'm there anyway.

f3cbboy said:
spur0701 said:
So I've got a Husquvarna 350, believe that I bought it from Bailey's more than 5 years ago, it's always run great and was enough saw. Last year the heat shield between the muffler and oil caseing broke off and before I noticed it melted a hole in the oil resivoir. I fixed that but then the muffler retaining screws began falling out, locktight fixed that the first couple of times but is no longer working. Some google searches revealed this is a fairly common problem with this saw. One post said something about the saw running hot because of the fuel mix but I've been useing 50:1 as specificed by the manual. In any event I may still be able to save the saw as a back up by using some E-Z Lok threaded inserts to reattach the muffler.

I have the same saw with the same problem. drilled the holes in the side of the jug on either side of the exhaust port with a #7 bit and tapped with a 1/4" 20 and a bottom tap and haven't had any issue with the muffler falling off any more (also bought new 1/4 20 bolts) the heat shield with the muffler is relativley expensive.

Thanks for the feedback on how you fixed this.....did you buy a new heat shield? I had just used a scrap piece of sheet metal that was trimmed to fit with a little bend in the back so that the muffler retined it. This pisses me off 'cause this has been a great cutting saw except for this annoying problem.......

DiscoInferno said:
I was at HD tonight getting some bar oil and stuck my head into the rental center out of curiosity. They do sell the used Makitas, although none were available today. I was told the price is set in Atlanta and is based on the number of times it was rented, but didn't get any numbers. The attendant told me that they are really abused, she didn't think I'd really want one. I think her approximate quotes were "Some of these people don't have a clue what they're doing" and "It's like buying a rental car". Given the general lack of chainsaw experience in the DC area, I can believe it. And I don't really need a new saw anyway. But if they're going for under $150 I'll probably stick my head in now and then when I'm there anyway.

I stopped by one HD and they were on top of what they had available for sale, had a Xerox sales flyer with everything listed and prices. Stopped by another one and they didn't know, they had to go into the computer and print it out and ended up printing out every tool available for sale at every HD in the entire country.....was intresting to see. Anyway, the guys at the one where I picked this one up, Bill and Lawrence, seemed to be pretty good guys....and Bill is the one that cleans, maintains, and fixes everything as it comes back in and seem to know the tools. He told me one had a bad magneto and he had ordered the parts to fix it so I decided to trust him in that he said the one I was buying was in good shape.....but given the price probably still would have bought it even if he was an ass and didn't know what he was doing...would have been a different story if the price was over $200 or $225.......

spur0701 said:
f3cbboy said:
spur0701 said:

Thanks for the feedback on how you fixed this.....did you buy a new heat shield? I had just used a scrap piece of sheet metal that was trimmed to fit with a little bend in the back so that the muffler retined it. This pisses me off 'cause this has been a great cutting saw except for this annoying problem.......

Na i didn't buy a heat shield, i replaced it first with a piece of shet metal, then when that cracked i used a piece of sheet aluminum (light stuff that i use behind copper pipes when sweatin them close to beams) and it hasn't worn out yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.