Husqvarna 13 in. Curved Handle Hatchet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Justsomedude

Jan 14, 2016
Nashville, TN
I know this is old news to many, but I just got this hatchet and am VERY happy.
Used it to process a big tub of kindling by first splitting splits down a few times and then laying them on their sides and splitting with the Hatchet.

I was previously using a nice old roofer's hatchet but it was a little too light for bigger pieces and a little too thin to split well.

Anyway...if you are looking for a hatchet, definitely check it out.

Oh yeah....
the Sheath isn't my favorite but it is functional.
It might get easier to close after it gets broken in a bit.
Maybe I'll make something that doesn't use a snap.

I got one of those slippery sob s. Not impressed at all. Soft steel has dents all over the edge. I like my $10.00 tube steel rubber coated blue light special from TSC much better.

??
Did you try the same hatchet?

Mine is an unfinished handle where you can still feel lots of grain and the curved handle gives you an easy grip.

I was processing kindling using a stump as chopping block....splitting down to size and then crosscutting them in half.
The edge shows no sign of wear at all (unlike the Fiskars splitting axe).
B8702769-7657-40CB-9A89-25016CD8AE85_zpsahcg7nad.jpg

Ya its the same. They only make one. Varnished wood handle with a curve in it. I think that curve in the handle is what makes it try to slip out of my hand when swung. For some reason I always have bad luck with Husqvarna. Crappy pic from my phone but the shiny parts are where the edge bent over. Not chipped just rolled over. And no I haven't been cutting nails. I hate to say it but my Chinese pos is much better.

Attachments

• Husky.JPG
    Husky.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 255
  • HUSK2.JPG
    HUSK2.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 246
I have one of these. I have had no issue with the edge folding over and do not find it slippery. The hande was not varnished, it had a light coat of a linseed-type oil applied. The grain orientation of the handle isn't bad either. I actually sanded the handle a bit on mine, rubbed it down with some steel wool, and treated it with several coats of boiled linseed oil. It feels great. I would recommend it without hesitation despite Jazzberry's bad experience. I think it's a great tool for $40.

I bought mine from Amazon for $30.00. (not recommending them just saying) Huskies site shows a new model H900 with a soft grip plastic handle. Lists for $50 so prolly $35 for a good shopper. Looks like a much better product. Might measure up to my $10.00 pos TSC model.

The Husqvarna 13inch Curved Handle Hatchet doesn't have softer steel than a standard ax or hatchet; perhaps you've sharpened it poorly? I've had my Husqvarna for almost a year, of which I used it frequently and mine keeps it's edge a lot longer than my Fiskars X7 did. In my opinion this hatchet not only performs great but has a nice classic look too.

The shiny parts in my pic was from the factory edge that had never been sharpened. Since then I have sharpened it and had similar results. Its possible I just got a lemon but honestly my cheap Chinese 10.00 ax from TSC is much better than the Husqvarna.

I own the Husqvarna small splitting axe and it has been a wonderful tool. Good steel and a nice handle. I have really whaled on a variety of southern hardwoods with it the past two years. No issues with chipping or rolling of the edge yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro