Husqvarna 262xp starts hard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
My trusty 262xp is having a hard time starting. It will eventually "pop" and run, but you have to pull it over I don't know how many times (a lot). I've rebuilt the carb, changed the fuel line, etc, and the problem persists. It also will not stay running at an idle, unless you "feather" the throttle. To re-start, even when hot, you still have to choke it. Any ideas as to what might be going on? Thanks.

hemlock said:
Hello,
My trusty 262xp is having a hard time starting. It will eventually "pop" and run, but you have to pull it over I don't know how many times (a lot). I've rebuilt the carb, changed the fuel line, etc, and the problem persists. It also will not stay running at an idle, unless you "feather" the throttle. To re-start, even when hot, you still have to choke it. Any ideas as to what might be going on? Thanks.

Sparkplug in good shape, hopefully you tried a new one?

How is the compression?

Any possible vaccuum leaks from the bottom end, say bad crankcase seals.

Thats a start of things to look at.

Mcbride said:
hemlock said:
Hello,

How is the compression?

The plug is in good shape (new). The compression "feels" good, but I don't have any numbers.

hemlock said:
Mcbride said:
hemlock said:
Hello,

How is the compression?

The plug is in good shape (new). The compression "feels" good, but I don't have any numbers.

You need to check the compression with a gauge, the thumb over the plug hole does not work.
Any amount of compression will push your thumb off, but maybe too low to start right and run well.
If compression is good, a leak down test is next.

A small engine place will have a leak down tester, and its a cheap thing to get done on a little saw.
I do them for $30 in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.