Husqvarna 345 (used) Deal or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
Found an ad for Husqvarna 345 needs carb cleaning, $50. Is this a deal or should I not bother? Little background this would be my first saw, and I only need it for cutting small stuff I'd probably run the thing a few times a year.

I own a 345 with 18" bar.
If the seller claims it needs carb cleaning, I would fear that it is running badly and he "thinks" that's what's wrong. If OTOH, YOU think it needs carb cleaning, (and that's all), then I think you'll find that to be a fairly easy task. (I've done it.)

I generally like the saw. Lighter weight is important to me, so that's why I wanted the 345. I don't use the Husky chain. Some users find Huskys to be finicky and ornery, and I can see where that may be true. Make sure you cut off those plastic limiters so you can adjust the carb settings, and you can make it be a good saw.

Hello Plattsburgh,

Yes, buy it before it is gone! I would.

PS Was stationed at PAFB from 69-73. Lived on Cumberland Head. Visit at least once a year.

It's a good saw for your application. For that kind of money you can't really go wrong. You probably know that saw or a similar 445 would run you around $300. Best case is you tinker on it and have a good saw. Worst case is it's junk and you part it out and sell it on Ebay.

Good Luck!

Maniac is on the right track. I think you could part it out and break even(worst case secnario) if you can't get it the way you want it.

Valhalla said:
Hello Plattsburgh,

PS Was stationed at PAFB from 69-73. Lived on Cumberland Head. Visit at least once a year.

Hey there Valhalla,

Like it so much you come back once a year?!!! Take it your visit isn't during the winter time?

Thanks everybody for your advice.

gangsplatt said:
Valhalla said:
Hello Plattsburgh,

Hey there Valhalla,

Like it so much you come back once a year?!!! Take it your visit isn't during the winter time?

Hey P'burgh,

Yes, winter is my favorite in the North Country. A wonderful four season location.

PS Buy that saw!!!

Even if you dump $100 in repairs into it, that is still a deal. Go get it. I love mine.

Valhalla said:
gangsplatt said:
Valhalla said:
Hello Plattsburgh,

Hey there Valhalla,

Hey P'burgh,

Yes, winter is my favorite in the North Country. A wonderful four season location.

PS Buy that saw!!!

Did you get it yet? We are interested to hear about it.

Not yet, the saw is in a town about 30 minutes away and couldn't get over there after work. Just emailed the guy to see if happens to have it and if so I would come pick it up tomorrow. We'll see if he still has it or not? My luck probably not.

gangsplatt said:
Not yet, the saw is in a town about 30 minutes away and couldn't get over there after work. Just emailed the guy to see if happens to have it and if so I would come pick it up tomorrow. We'll see if he still has it or not? My luck probably not.

Did you buy it? I called the guy yesterday about 4pm and it was sold... I knew I shouldn't have waited so long to call!!!

Nope, if I had picked up like I should have the day he posted I would have gotten it, but I had stuff going on during the week after work and couldn't get there. Oh well, I've got enough things to tinker with around here that I really don't need another (sounds like it needed a tuneup/carb cleaning from what he told me). No big deal, there will be more saws to consider in the future I'm sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.