husqvarna 359

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raven

Nov 2, 2008
northern ohio
just want to plug this little saw.
after doing a little looking into saw's i had decided i wanted a 357. but after pricing and talking to a few good dealers in the area i elected to go with the 359. To be honest i did so with a certain amount of reservation. The saw has always ran good and im guessing its cut roughly 6 cord so it is a new saw. Its cut 30" cherry , hard maple ,26 to 28" black locust and this past week a good size oak in the 30 plus range. The oak was a blow down and by the time i was starting to get to the meaty part of the tree i noticed the saw was really starting to run.( just getting broke in ?) Im slow to form an opinion on things i buy ....that is unless its crap right from the start. So by the time that oak was cut and loaded i had a smile on my face. The 359 is not the biggest baddest wood eater out there but for anyone looking for a great little saw its one to think about.

You make that sound like it is a small saw - almost 60cc. I am not sure I would call that a 'great little saw' - maybe on the arborist site. I have the 353 so mine is a bit smaller but a great saw regardless. I can cut up anything that comes my way.

Do you have the 20" bar on there?

Ok mid size i guess i think of it as a little saw because its comfortable to work with . How about i say its a saw thats easy run for more than an hour without wearing a guy out and still has enough guts to cut dam good lol.
I do run a 20 on it. I had given some thought about a smaller bar but just cant see why i should.

I have heard nothing but good things about the 359. Sounds like it is starting to get broken in too!

I like mine, at least for this occasional chainsaw user. it has managed to go through the monster logs I got delivered free from a local landscaper and it has run pretty well. There are also some muffler mods and things you can do to get even more power if you felt the need. So far, mine is bone stock and I like it. Just ditch the safety chains and you're good to go.

Jay

Jay ill look into those mods it would be interesting to know what i could do to the saw . the dealer suggested from the get go that he would prefer i had a couple back up chains (non safety of course) and was good enough to throw them in on the deal.

Smart dealer...keeps you from coming back complaining about the saw.

raven said:
Jay ill look into those mods it would be interesting to know what i could do to the saw . the dealer suggested from the get go that he would prefer i had a couple back up chains (non safety of course) and was good enough to throw them in on the deal.

Basically, I've read on the following arboristsite link:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=77003

About replacing the EPA muffler with a non-epa muffler, providing a bit more HP for moderate costs. Might have to do a little tweaking afterwards with it but it was an option if you perhaps want to try to run a longer bar than the recommended 20" (which I run). I think it does void the warantee though, so maybe wait til after it expires..

When I was looking at a chainsaw, I researched the 359 and found that information above. I was considering going to a 24" bar but found my 20" bar and non-safety chain was very good as is...

Jay

I run an 18" on my 353. I thought about getting a 20 and a 16 but I got the 18 and 3 chains instead...

bought one new back in 03 it has cut way more than 200 rick or face cords. Never have did anything to it but clean air filter. Starts and runs like it did the day I first bought it . have never had to have the carb adjusted on it either. Will sit and idle till it runs out of gas. Excellent saw. There newer line I think are called rancher dont seem to have the power the 359 does. Dont understand that one. buddy of mine hass the 455 and it dont compare to the 359. Mine has a 20" bar. thanks chad

My one and only is a 359, got it around 2003, no complaints yet. It's a little heavy if you have to do a lot of limbing, I guess, but I usually don't. I had to tweak the carb once early on, but not since. Only once or twice has my 16" bar been insufficient, although recently I was looking at getting a 24" bar for it (on someone else's dime).

Status
Not open for further replies.