Husqvarna 445- anyone try one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagler

Sep 9, 2007
I'm in need of a new saw, but only have about 300.00 to spend. I can get a 445 at my dealer for 289. This has a 46cc engine. Do you feel this is enough to cut larger logs?

I recently spoke with a dealer that told me to avoid any husky product that starts with a 4 or 5, the first number tells you the series the next two are size of engine. He said the 4 series are heavy for the output you get. Also he questions their reliability, the 4 series has a lot of emmisions equipment that IHO will prove to be problematic

The problem with the 445 is that it is just coming out and is as of yet unproven in the field. Now if you can find a 345, those have been out for years and are a good reliable homeowners saw. The only thing that has kept me away from Husky is that I have no dealer in the area and I have a Poulan with an outboard clutch and much prefer the inboard.

Got my Dolmar 510 w/ a 18" bar for $315 from the dealer, and has been a pretty good firewood saw. It runs around 50cc. My mom just bought a slightly used 460 from the same dealer and it is a good little saw too...believe she paid $250 for it.

If you're looking at the 445 I'd seriously consider the 346XP in the same size range. May be a more expensive saw but it's a well proven model and it has a great power/weight ratio.

No problems with my 345 so far (only had it a month). It's got a 16" bar, but I've cut through 24-26 inch with zero issues (I was actually surprised how clean the cut was after going to the other side to finish the cut. The saw didn't 'bog down' it just kept going.

I bought a 445 last winter as my first saw. It was a nice saw, and it fit in my $300 budget, but turned out to be much too small for the wood I was cutting. I wound up selling it at a loss and putting the money towards a Stihl 361. While the cost of the 361 was more than I wanted to spend, it is the saw I should have bought in the first place. I looked at the 346xp based on the recommendations I saw here and over at AS, but it was another $150 more than the 361which was just way out of my league. I would have liked to keep the 445 to use as a trim saw, but I can't justify having two saws at this point.

For reference, I'm cutting mostly oak and maple anywhere from 6" to 20". I also cut an occasional large log or two should I happen upon one.

Josh

I looked at the 346xp based on the recommendations I saw here and over at AS, but it was another $150 more than the 361which was just way out of my league.

A 346XP shouldn't be close to the price of a MS361. 346XP goes for about $450-460 if you haggle a bit.

I may be wrong about the price on the 346xp- it was a while ago. I do remember that it was more than the 361. I was also looking at the 372 which was way beyond my price range. I remember comparing the prices i got from my two local Husqvarna dealers to the prices I found online- my local shops were _very_ expensive in comparison. I got the 361 from my Stihl dealer at list price.
Josh

Look at the Dolmar 5100. It is about $360 - $380, a little above your budget, but twice the saw. If you have to wait for the extra $, it will be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.