Husqvarna 450 Chain and Oil Lubrication Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Husqvarna 450 chainsaw (18" bar) and am having issues with my chain 'tightening' after running for an extended period of time. I have had the chainsaw for quite a while and am just now experiencing the problem. The problems started in the winter when I was running the chain in what I presume was too cold of conditions and the chain came off the bar when I got snow and ice into the bar. I took the bar and chain off and found that I had to slightly expand the groove in the bar and file some burrs off the chain guides after the episode but when complete the chain was moving freely in the bar guide. Well I decided to buy a replacement chain (full chisel) from Baileys and now when I run the chainsaw after properly tensioning the chain I experience the issue described above where the chain appears to be tightening and the chain becomes very hot obviously. This is even when I am not cutting. Suspecting that the chain was not lubricating properly I did the white paper test per the users manual and do see some splattering on the paper but not as much as I would have expected. I switched back to the OEM chain and same issue with the chain 'tightening' too much (to a point where the chain will not rotate freely) and same oil spray (less than I suspect there should be). I notice on the bottom of the cover there is a symbol for a oil pump adjustment but I do not see an adjustment mechanism! The manual is useless as it references the symbol and the fact that it is an oil pump adjustment mechanism but does not illustrate or describe the adjustment! My question is has anyone else had this issue and have any advice on the cause and the remedy? Can anyone describe how much oil splatter I should get pointing the tip at a piece of white paper for approximately one minute? Does anyone think lack of lubrication of the chain is the issue here? Can anyone advise on how to adjust the oil pump flow if indeed there is actually an adjustment mechanism? By the way, the bar looks true based upon my visual inspection, the guides are not obstructed thus preventing oil distribution along the bar, the nut is cranked down, and the tensioning bolt and plastic guide inside cover appear to not be loosening and operating correctly (mentioned this as I have heard others cite these issues on other threads when there were issues with chain loosening). Hope I was able to clearly explain my question. Thanks in advance for any advice.
If you are using this saw in cold weather where ice and snow are getting to the chain and bar it could actually be shrinking. I have used the saw in early spring cutting a maple tree where the cold sap flowed causing the chain to lock. Had to loosen it to the point of a 2" sag to cut with. As soon as the cutting started the chain tightened to normal operation. Have had to do the same when cutting holes in the ice for fishing in the winter.

I just bought a 450 rancher this past Sunday. Went to work on bucking 4 cords of birch, but the chain partly seized in the bar four or five times over about an hour. Each time I took the bar off and checked the oil passage, everything clear. Some oil was making it on the chain, but when I did the white paper test, only a few drops were being thrown off. I was using the pro elect premium bar oil from Lowes. I was also checking the chain tension each time. I took the saw back and got a replacement. This time to be safe I bought the husky bar oil. Tried it again, and sawed for about an hour. The chain started out nice and lubed. As time went on it got sort of dry again. Checked the bar lube port and it was clear. Air temp was in the upper 50s. I guess it did okay this time but to me the chain doesn't look like it's getting enough lube to me. Used about 2/3 of the oil to almost a tank of gas. There is no oil adjustm on this saw.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I have an older 455 Rancher that had the same symptoms as what the OP described. After a ton of research and trial and error I determined that the problem was the oil intake filter. The original one has a very coarse screen and would allow debris into the hose and it would clog. I changed the hose to a larger diameter one with a finer screen and it completely resolved the problem.
This is apparently a know and co.money issue on the older models of the 455 Rancher. I have no idea if the 450 that you have could possibly have the same issue, but it seems like it would be worth checking out.
If needed, I could go back and dig up some of the details about what parts I bought and maybe even some pictures I took comparing the hoses and filters.

that would make sense for an older chainsaw but mine was brand new. I have finished bucking up into 14 inch lengths about 1 1/2 cords of white birch and only had an issue once with the chain this time around. It got kind of tight and didn't want to spin freely. This time it was a blocked oil passage in the bar. This saw seems to be working fine. As time passes, I'll keep an eye on that filter. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.