1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20-Inch

Post in 'The Gear' started by 930dreamer, Mar 25, 2014.

1. 930dreamer

930dreamer Member

Loc:
    Amarillo, TX
    Is $200 a good price for this saw used? No pics of the bar/chain.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Clyde S. Dale

Clyde S. Dale Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE PA
    It's hard to tell by those pics alone. A pic with muffler removed to see the piston would really be good. I personally would not run a 20" inch bar on that saw. 18" max.
    Jon1270 likes this.
  3. 930dreamer

930dreamer Member

Loc:
    Amarillo, TX
    Thank You. I really want a Stihl 30" plus saw to cut some large rounds that have been sitting.
  4. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Without seeing any pictures at all, $200 for a running 455 in decent shape is a good price.
  5. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    +1
  6. Charlie2

Charlie2 Member

Loc:
    Georgia
    Clyde, Why would you not run a 20" bar? I've just finished cutting up a 22" oak standing dead oak with 1.5" of punk and while it would bog down if I pushed it too hard, it cut it fine. Is there another reason other than not enough H.P.? Thanks.
  7. Clyde S. Dale

Clyde S. Dale Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE PA
    Just my personal opinion based on my own experience. Will that saw run a 20"? Sure it will. But when I think 20" I think 60cc minimum. Most importantly make sure your chain is sharp no matter the bar size.
    Ralphie Boy likes this.
  8. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    FWIW, I ran a 20" bar on a Stihl 290 (.325 pitch, 8T drive sprocket, no mods) which has about the same displacement as a 455. It definitely was too much bar for the saw when buried, but I hardly ever did that. I wanted the extra reach.

I sold it when I realized that I what I really wanted was a Stihl 361.
  9. Charlie2

Charlie2 Member

Loc:
    Georgia
    I had a high HP high dollar 20" Husky, I traded it when my arthritic hands could no longer stand the back fires,:( It had me gritting my teeth before each pull. The 455 with it's compression release is just fine for an old man with plenty of time. :) I like the little longer bar just to help protect against kick back.
  10. BEConklin

BEConklin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I run a 20" bar on my 455 Rancher. No problem...I don't push it and I keep the chain sharp. Had an 18" but bought the 20" to buck a fallen hickory tree that yielded a cord of splits out of the trunk. It never felt to me like the saw was working too hard or bogging down. And yes - I'd buy one in decent shape for $200 I like my Husky.

Only problem I ever had with mine was bar oil leaking when the saw was put away. Talked to the dealer about it and he told me to open the bar oil fill cap when you're done, then screw it back in tight. This releases the pressure inside the reservoir...no more leaks.
    Charlie2 likes this.
  11. Charlie2

Charlie2 Member

Loc:
    Georgia
    Good info on releasing the pressure on the oil reservoir, thanks!
  12. simple.serf

simple.serf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sherman, NY
    I'd say $200 isn't too bad if it is in good condition. I run a 55 rancher with a 20" without any problems, though I don't usually bury the chain too often. When I do, it has plenty of power. My father has a 455, and while it has plenty of power, it has had 3 or 4 warranty claims for the oiler not working properly. Just something to be aware of.
  13. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA

Assuming it's in good shape, yes.
  14. Charlie2

Charlie2 Member

Loc:
    Georgia
    What was the issue with the oiler? My chain burned the paint on the bar, (not enough oil) when it was fairly new, my son and I thought it was because the bar oil was too thick and that combined with cold weather, caused it not flow. I changed the oil to a different manufacturer, lighter weight as well and the weather has warmed, now it's seems to working fine, but you have me wondering now.
  15. 930dreamer

930dreamer Member

Loc:
    Amarillo, TX
    Seller never got back to me.