Husqvarna 455 Rancher Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CentralVAWoodHeat

Minister of Fire
Nov 7, 2015
Virginia
I had a first time experience today that surprised me in a bad way.

Today I went to start my 455 Rancher. It's been sitting for about a month in the back of one of my trucks (in the cab, not exposed). It has a full tank of Husqvarna 50:1 factory mix. I went to start it and had to really pull HARD on the cord. It started, as usual, after two pulls, and ran perfectly. I stopped and started it again several times and it was very easy to pull and start, as usual.

I've heard of this happening due to compression issues, stuck pistons, spark plugs too long, incorrect fuel, the whole thing. I'm just assuming mine was due to the saw sitting for longer than usual and bouncing around in my truck every day and that it's nothing to worry about as it clearly worked itself out.

Thoughts?

My swag based on nothing at all, is maybe the fuel somewhat evaporated (whatever would normally be left in the form of fuel/oil mix on the side of the piston surfaces) and it's not lubed as well until the first shot of fresh fuel comes through?

When my little Husky sits for awhile, it seems the same way.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
That's pretty interesting. I bought my 455 new in 2014, and through a repair for some type of factory defect where it leaked bar oil all the time, got a new saw in return the following year. Mine sits in a shed, but I do take places every once in a while. I've never had anything that was a two pull in my life, so I hope to catch that unicorn someday. Until then, I'll just vent, prime, and half choke as always.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I bought mine new last year (even though the tag says 2012, got it for $170 off). I follow the standard manual start procedure and it never fails to start. However, it is a cold blooded beast and it often stalls after the first start and bogs considerably until warmed up. After that, it starts/runs/idles like normal. I have fiddled with both the "L and H" screws turning them out richer but may have to richen the L a little more.

Interestingly, I have noticed the odd time that it seems a little harder to turn over, but I'd rather have that than the alternative.

Ive had my 455 for many years and have had that happen. I dont know why, but I do know that it hurts your fingers when you pull hard and it sticks.
I always have a strong grip on that handle when I pull .

bob

I've had saws that sit for months in the very cold pull a little harder. Could be any oil left coating the cylinder simply drained down into the crank case so the cylinder is a little dryer. So you feel it when pulling the cord that 1st time. Not sure really but I've experienced it. The bigger the saw the more noticeable.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Status
Not open for further replies.