Husqvarna 460. How many years will it last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctswf

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
ct, usa
Last year i bought a new husqvarna 460 rancher w 20in bar on amazon. Well, they sent me 2 of them! (on purpose by the way)

I love the saw, the second one has been sitting unopened for a year now. I know things arent built the way they used to be and i figured i will shelf it, someday i have a new saw waiting when this one breaks.

But realistically i cut 5 to7 chords a year, should this thing last 10years easy?

The other night i bought a 40cc Husqvarna for light weight smaller work, and im thinking thats kind of silly i should be selling the extra 460 go pay for it

It depends on how well you take care of it. Obviously running it too lean ( improper tuning) , mixing your gas too lean, running too hot a spark plug, letting the air filter clog up and allowing dirt and dust into the intake, all stated can burn out your saw very quickly.

Also running a dull chain which doesn't cut and keeps the saw screaming at redline all the time and not putting normal load on the saw is hard on the engine. Also shaving your rakers down too much where the saw gets grabby is hard on the crank shaft lower end assembly.

Lots of things to take into consideration with a question like yours.

If run properly and cared for I can't see why it won't last 10 years or much more cutting 5 plus cords a year.

If you keep the other saw on a shelf long term I'd probably take the spark plug out and drip a little 2 stroke oil in the top end, then pull it over once or twice, then put spark plug back in. Long term storage

Check out my signature. I've got 28 years on that stupid little Eager Beaver. Some years it sat without use. Some years it cut wood that was way bigger and much larger quantity than that saw should ever have been asked to do. The only thing that's been replaced is the pull cord (a few times) and it has never been drained of fluids for storage.

Of course your care matters but, yeah, your Husky should last 10 years. Sell the second one.

Reactions: CTYank
36 years on my stihl 041 farm boss and still cuts like new.Cutting 6 to 8 cord per year.Use quality oil at 32 to 1 and the saw will last forever. The 50 to 1 that is recommended will kill a saw in ten years or less that is a ploy for low emissions.

36 years on my stihl 041 farm boss and still cuts like new.Cutting 6 to 8 cord per year.Use quality oil at 32 to 1 and the saw will last forever. The 50 to 1 that is recommended will kill a saw in ten years or less that is a ploy for low emissions.

Your 041 was made at a time well before modern synthetic oil. It calls for 32:1 based on oil available at the time in the 1970s

I've got 2 vintage Stihls that also call for 32:1. Running modern full synthetic oil I now run them just shy of 50:1 just like my modern saws. And they run great.

Although I do agree I'm sure the push to 50:1 has to do with emissions as well. No way would I use non synthetic oil at 50:1 but I'm comfortable with it using full synthetic.

For what it's worth an 041 will far outlast a Husky Rancher or Stihl 290 or any other newer plastic homeowner type saw with everything else being the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon1270 and CTYank
Sell the 460. Way before you wear out the first one, they will be seriously outdated. Someone else could get good use out of it now. If you're inclined to invest that kind of $$ on saw(s), look at Dolmar 6100 (61 cc). Pro quality, price comparable to 460, way more power output. Serious stuff.

Again, controlling factor is how you take care of saw: fresh 89-octane w/50:1 full-synthetic, chain KEPT sharp, proper winter/summer b&c oil, regular checks & maintenance. It could last forever (almost). When in doubt, shut if off and find out. I've a couple saws from the '70s and they still run like new, but I prefer the much higher-revving current machines. They put a smile on my face.

FWIW I got a factory-refurb 455, ran it hard for 3 yrs, sold it to bud. He's had it now for 2.5 yrs as his heavy artillery. Still runs like new. Way less power than Dolly 6100, but also very hard to kill. He loves it, thinks Dolly 6100 is badass. It is. To each his own.

Don't even ask about smiles induced by 70+ cc saws.

Sell the 460. Way before you wear out the first one, they will be seriously outdated. Someone else could get good use out of it now. If you're inclined to invest that kind of $$ on saw(s), look at Dolmar 6100 (61 cc). Pro quality, price comparable to 460, way more power output. Serious stuff.

Totally agree on selling the spare 460 now. When you put it that way makes great sense you will get more money for it now than 10 years from now.

Dolmar makes great saws. Best value out there for a high end pro saw. Worst thing is lack of good dealers. The little Dolmar 421 is amazing little saw for $300 bucks can't be beat.

Keep it and put an 18" bar on it. You will find many opinions on saw models and manufacturers here but the Husky 455 and 460 Ranchers are excellent saws. I've been running my 455 for years as a small professional saw, my 390xp being my go to work saw when we do logging jobs on our farm. When it comes to anything under two feet dba, the Rancher is light and durable enough though. Run the 20" bar on one and the 18" on the other as you will be amazed what a cutting machine that saw is on bucking/limping with the shorter bar.

In addition, there is something to be said for consistency in manufacturer, model, parts when it comes to maintenance.

i had thought about putting a 24 on it to have a 20 and a 24 but i would barely ever use the 24. I had not considered putting an 18 on it.

20 to 18 is a big difference huh? too bad i hadnt thought of that before i just ordered a smaller saw. Im just gonna sell it.

Or...here me out here, 8in bar for the vegetable garden trimming?!?

I probably would have just bought 1 pro grade saw personally.
That being said, it should last quite a while. My dad has a 455 rancher he got at lowes probably 9 years ago I think. He cuts around 4-6 cord a year, and I've used it quite a bit myself as a backup saw when I'm doing a job.
I changed the plug, filter, etc a few years ago but that's it

Status
Not open for further replies.