Husqvarna 55 Rancher repair.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natebaux

May 6, 2015
Illinois
So a while ago I got taken on Craigslist for a chainsaw. Knew I was going to need one soon at least once, but didn't really know what I was doing. I use the word "taken" because the guy that sold it to me sent his wife to do the deal in the parking lot while he hid inside the building. I saw them get together and leave as I was pulling away. The saw sat for at least 2 years in my possession. She fed me a story about it leaking because he just filled the oil, but had no other information. I bought it, hook, line, and sinker. I didn't pay much for it, probably less than $100.

Someone came to help me use it and he determined it needed sharpened. I had purchased the Chicago Electric sharpener model and stumbled our way through it. Even after that, he said it just wasn't cutting like it should. Upon further inspection, it was out of bar oil. Whoops.

I took it to a shop to have it sharpened by someone with experience and after putting oil in it, showed me it was leaking, and the oil seal was bad. Also showed me a mark on the bar which indicated someone had dropped it, and then flipped the bar to move the damage mark to the top.

He could fix it, but would charge me more than it was worth, and encouraged me to do it myself. "If you can sharpen a blade, you can change a seal."

This is a 55 Rancher which is a discontinued model. I really only need it for a medium sized job with some oak chunks. After getting some oil in it, he said it is a good running saw with a sharp blade and just needs some love if it is going to be kept around. I am currently looking at some replacement parts at hlsproparts dot com(not sure about links here), like an oil pump and replacement gaskets.

Now, in theory, if you are going to do it, it should be done right and replace the spark plug, muffler, bar, lynch pin for safety brake.

Now, should I spend the money to fix the oil problem, or should I just invest my time and money into a new or trusted used saw? The gasket set is $9 and the oil pump is $7. That would at least get me going to finish the job. Yea, it's only $20-25 + shipping + time, but if I am fighting an unwinnable battle it would be best to invest those efforts into something else.

Sorry for the epic story.

If you can do it yourself, the saw is absolutely worth that small investment. I doubt you have to change the muffler, or the pin you mentioned unless they are broken. Also, if you paid less than $100 initially, I'd say you got a decent deal.

Swap the seal and pump, true up the nick in that old bar, and put her to work!

$100 for a saw that needs a $9 repair is not a bad investment, if you have the time for swapping the seal.

I forgot to mention, if you've got a local Husqvarna dealer you can call them to order the parts. That way you won't have to pay the shipping.

Your description of what the saw needs is hard to follow, probably because you're using unconventional terms due to inexperience. Pictures of the problem areas would help.

Generally speaking, the 55 is a good model -- capable, simple and easy to work on. It's totally reasonable to feel disappointed if you expected a fully-functional saw and instead got a project, but in cash terms it sounds like the price was quite fair.

Buying used saws on Craigslist is a bit of a minefield. In my experience, many sellers simply don't know much about chainsaws, and misrepresent what they're selling out of ignorance rather than malice. If you wanted a saw that didn't need fiddling with, you'd have had to spend a lot more and buy either new or reconditioned from some reputable seller. Even then, you'd be asking (or paying) for maintenance help before long. If you buckle down and do these minor repairs, you'll not only have a good saw for a good price, you'll have a better understanding of how it works, too.

So a while ago I got taken on Craigslist for a chainsaw. Knew I was going to need one soon at least once, but didn't really know what I was doing. I use the word "taken" because the guy that sold it to me sent his wife to do the deal in the parking lot while he hid inside the building. I saw them get together and leave as I was pulling away. The saw sat for at least 2 years in my possession. She fed me a story about it leaking because he just filled the oil, but had no other information. I bought it, hook, line, and sinker. I didn't pay much for it, probably less than $100.

Someone came to help me use it and he determined it needed sharpened. I had purchased the Chicago Electric sharpener model and stumbled our way through it. Even after that, he said it just wasn't cutting like it should. Upon further inspection, it was out of bar oil. Whoops.

I took it to a shop to have it sharpened by someone with experience and after putting oil in it, showed me it was leaking, and the oil seal was bad. Also showed me a mark on the bar which indicated someone had dropped it, and then flipped the bar to move the damage mark to the top.

He could fix it, but would charge me more than it was worth, and encouraged me to do it myself. "If you can sharpen a blade, you can change a seal."

This is a 55 Rancher which is a discontinued model. I really only need it for a medium sized job with some oak chunks. After getting some oil in it, he said it is a good running saw with a sharp blade and just needs some love if it is going to be kept around. I am currently looking at some replacement parts at hlsproparts dot com(not sure about links here), like an oil pump and replacement gaskets.

Now, in theory, if you are going to do it, it should be done right and replace the spark plug, muffler, bar, lynch pin for safety brake.

Now, should I spend the money to fix the oil problem, or should I just invest my time and money into a new or trusted used saw? The gasket set is $9 and the oil pump is $7. That would at least get me going to finish the job. Yea, it's only $20-25 + shipping + time, but if I am fighting an unwinnable battle it would be best to invest those efforts into something else.

Sorry for the epic story.

55 will leak bar oil any way, also you'll want to buy the upgraded fuel cap. The 55 is a good saw, little hard to pull start. the worst you'll have to do is a new carb. ($55) I wish I could pick a replacement cylinder with a compression release. I put a narrow curf 16" bar 0325 on mine the saw has enough grunt just to pull right thru frsh oak!

Status
Not open for further replies.