Husqvarna is going to ..... Hey wait a second!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the bars & chains that used to come with new saws when I was at the tree company did not have a common Oregon # on them, and once they were replaced I switched them to Oregon anyway.

I know that the bars & chains that used to come with new saws when I was at the tree company did not have a common Oregon # on them, and once they were replaced I switched them to Oregon anyway.
The Husky #'s were indeed different but if you held up the chain to the corresponding Oregon chain, they were identical except for that brand stamped into the tie-straps.

Far as I know it's made by Oregon with Husqy numbers.

"The Swedish group said on Wednesday it would invest 1 billion crowns ($157 million) in a chainsaw chain production unit in Sweden, and increase capacity for cylinders for two-stroke engines for chainsaws in the United States and Sweden."

Look like they plan on making chains soon. Probably see how well Stihl does with profit on their chains ;) Some Stihl shops have high priced chain.

Look like they plan on making chains soon. Probably see how well Stihl does with profit on their chains ;) Some Stihl shops have high priced chain.

But that price you see is set by the dealer. Yeah, most dealers make a killing on pre-cut loops but I'm curious now how well Stihl actually does. They make a high-quality product and the dealers don't really pay a lot for them.

Also curious as to why Husky wants to get into the chain manufacturing business. Unless you have something new to offer, I would think it's a difficult market to break into.

Its always been rebadged Oregon stuff......which makes sense because the article says they will be investing 157 mil in a chain production facility ;)

Maybe stihl will give them the RSC technoilogy in exchange for the anti-vibe idea they took from Husky, and then price it cheaper ;lol

I shouldn't complain, I get 2- 72DL loops of RSC for $34......... you know it's a good dealer when they don't sell or stock the green safety chain (except picco).

Sounds like a smart move to me. From the following article, it seems that they no longer want to miss out on that sector of consumables and aftermarket products.

Article: http://rermag.com/supply-side/husqvarna-invest-us-159-million-chainsaw-production-facility

Excerpt:

“The investments confirm our long-term commitment to be a global leader of handheld forestry products,” said Hans Linnarson, president and CEO of Husqvarna Group. “Saw chains are critical for chainsaw performance. They are also one of the largest aftermarket product categories. Through the investment, we will leverage our technical expertise to develop, design and manufacture chains, thus optimizing the full performance of the chainsaw. The investment will also enable us to grow our offering in the replacement part market. Several sites globally were evaluated before deciding on Huskvarna. Critical needs were access to technical know-how, skilled labor and a strong infrastructure.”​

Good - this will make for another Ford/Chevy opportunity and great arborist fodder on sites like these. It will be interesting as the chains hit the market as I am sure many will be giving them good test runs in real life situations and long threads will develop :)

I have a Ford and a Chevy in the driveway as well as a Husky and Stihl in the stable. So I can go either way. I just like quality and competition. This drives the price point down and makes for more 2 for one deals on replacment items like chain. Although there are followers of the Oregon product and others it is tough to argue that Stihl is not the overwhelming choice for quality chains at this time. I would guess another high quality chain manufaturer in the market will eventually drive the price down a bit. At least that is my hope

Reactions: osagebow
I agree. Competition keeps prices down, improves quality, and promotes innovation.

I noticed that here is even competition entering the market in my area on the low end. Yesterday, I stopped in my local Tractor Supply store and there is a new large section of "Tractor Supply" branded chains, files, guides, grease guns, wedges, and other chainsaw accessories. All made in China. The Husqvarna section is still there next to it, but it is a third of the size.

This drives the price point down and makes for more 2 for one deals on replacment items like chain.

Those promos are coming from dealers, not manufacturers. In fact, it's rare that Stihl actually runs any kind of sale on their product, even discontinued models. There is a LOT of margin on chain. (Hence the variability of pricing) More than enough to comfortably support BOGO promos from the dealer. ::P

Check out JACKSSMALLENGINES. They have the OREGON VXL chain loop at a great price now 91VXL062G List Price:$24.05
You save 46% !!!
supersaverlogo.gif

Your Price: $12.99

After reading MasterMech s input, I totally agree. The proof is in performance. I have now used the Oregon VXL chain and the cutters are longer and performance seems to be improved. Another thing I do is buy NGK BPMR7A spark plugs from ROCKAUTO.COM I do a P/N search for them and buy a quantity.They seem to improve performance and at a lower cost. They would even be worth more money to me. I have used these plugs in Husky, Stihl chainsaws.

I heard that Husky was going to make their own chains and bars from my dealer a couple months ago. I questioned him on it but he insisted. Honestly I just figured he was mistaken. This article seems to confirm what he was saying.

I heard that Husky was going to make their own chains and bars from my dealer a couple months ago. I questioned him on it but he insisted. Honestly I just figured he was mistaken. This article seems to confirm what he was saying.

If they have something new to bring to market technology wise, I'll cheer them on. Improving the efficiency of the chain will do more for saw performance than adding bits of HP, a few RPMs or a handful of CC's.

If they're just getting into the market to make their own chain for production cost reasons. Then, meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.