Husqvarna v Chainsaw

hydestone Posted By hydestone, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeS

MikeS

Oct 9, 2006
    sorry--that would be 0.325 290 with case. Transposed numbers.....

2. Gooserider

Gooserider
    Mod Emeritus

Nov 20, 2006
    Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    Don't know who's been feeding you funny stuff, but that is totally off base - there is NO connection between Husky and Dolmar. Most parts do NOT interchange, other than the fact that some of the Dolmar's use the same bolt pattern as Husky on their bars.

BTW, My Dolmar 7900 has an outside mounted rim sprocket setup, and I believe the 5100s does as well - not sure about the other models - however that doesn't make them Stihl's either....

Dolmar is a German company, used to be Sach's Dolmar at one time, but they have no connection to either Husky or Stihl - however Dolmar does also have a fair collection of "firsts" in the chainsaw industry, they've been at it a long time....

Gooserider

3. MikeS

MikeS

Oct 9, 2006
    maybe I was thinking Jonsered, not Dolmar.

time to go smoke another one?

4. sl7vk

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Yes, you were thinking Jonsered.....

Dolmar is really making progress in the American market.... Word of mouth and sites like these have to be pushing sales up.

5. polaris

polaris
    Feeling the Heat

Jan 31, 2008
    Loc:
    KY.
    At 3-4 cords per year a "well cared for" farm boss will last you longer than you'll want to use it.

6. MikeS

MikeS

Oct 9, 2006
    see my previous post for cons on husky (all minor, as i noted)
    con for Stihl is higher cost in some cases.

7. Brian VT

Brian VT
    Minister of Fire

Jul 30, 2008
    Loc:
    Southern VT
    Yup. Inboard clutch on the 5100S also.
    What this means to wankers like me, my dealer told me, is that you don't have to worry about unlocking (or locking?) the brake before removing the side cover.
    He said that on some other saws you wouldn't be able to get the cover back on without releasing the locking band, which is a pita.

8. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd
    Minister of Fire

Oct 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Shelton, WA

What's to care for? Shake out the air filter every now and then? A new spark plug every 5 years?

I'm going on 6 years with my Farm Boss and apart from the air filter I've never touched it other than to cut wood.

9. Gooserider

Gooserider
    Mod Emeritus

Nov 20, 2006
    Loc:
    More or less... With the outside mount sprocket, the brake handle and assembly is part of the saw, and stays out of the way except when you are actually working on it, or possibly servicing the clutch itself - both fairly infrequent events. With an inside sprocket, the brake assembly, and especially the band that goes around the clutch drum, is part of the chain cover, and thus has to come off any time you want to remove the bar and/or chain - which is a fairly frequent task. It isn't a big deal if you have the brake in the off position, and keep it that way (You won't get the cover off if the brake is on...) But if you manage to trip the brake while the cover is off, it can definitely be a challenge to reset - the problem is that you don't have any leverage to push against because the cover is such a small part. (w/ my Pull-on, I found the easiest way was to put a couple of drift pins in my big shop vice so that the cover holes for the bar studs fit over them - that gave me the leverage for resetting the brake)

Gooserider

10. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd
    Minister of Fire

Oct 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I've only owned Stihls so I've never had to work on a chainsaw.

11. sl7vk

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    So you've never changed a chain or a sprocket....

Wow....

12. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd
    Minister of Fire

Oct 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I've never changed a sprocket and, so, "wow" that. . .

13. sl7vk

sl7vk

Jun 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Clearly rubbed you the wrong way, but the sprocket is a wear item... like a chain.

You should get that checked out.

14. polaris

polaris
    Feeling the Heat

Jan 31, 2008
    Loc:
    KY.
    Sprockets don't wear real quickly on a medium powered saw like the Farm Boss. I have gone through 10+ chains before the sprocket showed any noticeable wear. Stihl, while not the cheapest makes a top notch saw with the best chains in the business(imo) and parts and service are always readily available pretty much worldwide should you ever need them.

15. Spikem

Spikem
    Feeling the Heat

Nov 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Middleboro, MA, USA
    A well thought out post. Kudos!

16. pretite

pretite

Sep 23, 2009
    Loc:
    Paris,France
    Hi,if i were you i'll go for STIHL. Been using one for years and haven't change this one since the day i bought it.

Regards,
    pretite
    Link deleted - mod

17. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    I nominate Pretite's post for "best revival of the year". Did some deep digging to find this post. HA.

18. LLigetfa

LLigetfa
    Minister of Fire

Nov 9, 2008
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I'm sure he washed his hands after digging up that corpse.

19. Gooserider

Gooserider
    Mod Emeritus

Nov 20, 2006
    Loc:
    Looked borderline spammish to me, so I took the link out of the post... Will see if he comes back.

Gooserider

20. Flatbedford

Flatbedford
    Minister of Fire

Mar 17, 2009
    Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I actually read the whole thing! I must have too much time on my hands.
    I have Stihls and Fords.

21. polaris

polaris
    Feeling the Heat

Jan 31, 2008
    Loc:
    KY.
    I hope he/she returns. I heard that Magic heats were gov. mandated in France and I wanted to ask how that was working out.

22. ksting

ksting

Sep 21, 2008
    Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    I just got a Stihl Wood Boss in July. LOVE IT! It's a little less power and lighter weight then the Farm Boss but a little more money becasue of it's power to weight ratio and anti vibrate feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.