Husqvarna vs. Ariens tracked snow blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point! Yeah, I'd pull the shear pins and see if the auger spins freely. They do tend to rust to the shafts.
Yea but... the Ariens machines have two grease zerks on each auger flight to prevent this. Assuming he shoots a bit of grease in there at least once every few years, this machine should not have that particular problem.

No rust whatsoever on mine. i grease it every fall.

Nothing better than an ariens... ( at least in my books...for the price). I been bought an ariens lawnmower ( it has a honda engine...)

Yea but... the Ariens machines have two grease zerks on each auger flight to prevent this. Assuming he shoots a bit of grease in there at least once every few years, this machine should not have that particular problem.

My Simplicity does, too. Not sure, but I think my ancient Ariens has the fittings. It will become my backup machine this year. I have to check it every fall to make sure the mice haven't built a nest in it. For some reason, they love that machine. One year, when I tried to start it, the engine was frozen. I had that sick feeling that the engine had rusted up. Imagine my surprise when I found a mouse nest so firmly packed in the shroud that the engine couldn't turn.

What a disgusting mess to clean up. On top of that, there was a dead mouse in there.
Once I got it cleaned up, being careful not to breathe the dust, everything was fine. When I started the engine, bits of mouse turds and D-Con blew out for a while. Guess I missed some during the cleaning. Thing stunk for a while every time the engine got warm, though.

What's stopping me from buying an Ariens is that I can't see one before I buy it, and the price is so close to the Honda's. I prefer to buy American, but not sight unseen. BTDT, got burned in the past.

I've got a Honda track model 1132tas. It works crazy good.

Ariens are sold at Homedepot. And local shops must service them under warranty. They are the same price as the local shops..
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-P...Turn-Steering-921029/204265890#specifications

I still don't know how they can be the same price as a honda..lucky you!
This is the same one I got. If you go the Home Depot / Lowes route, go to the Post Office and ask for a "Moving Kit" (change of address stuff), in it there is usually a 10% discount coupon for Lowes or Home Depot....it will at least cover the taxes

[quote="Swedishchef, post: 1504307, member: 13390"

Personally I would stay away from Husky...I love their saws but not the blowers. A friend of mine had one and it didn't seem to toss the snow near as far. The last I heard Husqvarna, Sears, Poulan, etc snowblowers are all AYP-made products. Different trim levels but basically the same machine
.[/quote]

I have had good luck with my 5 year old Husky. I did replace bushings holding the rake with bearings. I upgraded to a high speed impeller pulley and added a Clarence kit and it throws as far as a Honda would. I wish the Yamahas were sold in the states. Nothing wrong with the Hondas either.

Clarence Kit
http://smllengns.tripod.com/index_Copy_1.html

None of the Home Depots around here that I checked stock the tracked models.

Dream snow blowers... I know some want to use a plow on a truck but I don't think that is as much fun.

2011_SB_YT1232ED.png
HS1336IAS_PE_IMG250.jpg

Reactions: Swedishchef
I think you have to typically hit the dealers to pick up the tracked
models.

Yeah, I tried several local dealers. They won't stock them because they don't sell enough of them. Probably because they don't stock them, is my guess. But with the Honda prices so close, people probably go with the Honda.

I do agree the tracks are pricey! If the machine doesn't climb the hill on my lane, I'm going to be pretty unhappy at having spent the extra money, but at least I'll have a machine that I can rely on.
Just for fun, I priced replacement tracks on various machines. One wanted over $800 for one track - just the track! Another was about $300. Honda says to call them for pricing. Probably so they can call an EMT after they tell you the price...

I'll say this I have never found something my track drive won't go through. The height adjuster is awesome and in 1st gear can scrape down to bare pavement in two feet of frozen slop from the plow trucks.

I don't think you'll have a problem.

Reactions: heat seeker
I have chains on my old Ariens, and terrific machine as it is, the chains just enable the tires to dig themselves a hole until the machine bottoms out. Then I'm S-T-U-C-K. The venerable Ariens will be my backup machine for the paved areas. I can't say enough good things about that old thing, and I got it free! My situation requires something with great traction, and I'm hoping the tracks will do the trick.

festerw - thanks for the encouragement!

The only time I've ever gotten the Honda stuck was being stupid blazing through the yard in high gear in a couple feet of snow.

My only complaint is that it is a bear to maneuver but it is 25 years only with no fancy features to help turn. The original belts and friction disc lasted 20 years though.

I do have a guy at work who has a track model....I think a Cub....he makes sure he keeps an eye on the fuel, he ran out of gas at the bottom of his driveway and could not move the thing, but claims there is no stopping it....trigger on either handle to turn left and right

Ever notice why tanks have tracks? Because they are tanks. They go through everything.

So guess what: your new machine with tracks will be a tank!! :)

I was just looking at price points. I don't know what kind of a driveway you have nor the type/amount of snowfall. One thing is for sure. A Honda blower is about the best blower you can get on the market. Reliable, tough, reliable (did I mention reliable??). OFten around here when you're driving around after a storm and see snow getting thrown 50 feet up you think it is a farm tractor. upon arrival of that particular driveway you realize it is a honda snowblower!

Andrew

Reactions: heat seeker
How about chains? Do they make spikes?
They do make chains but they are not that good. The new tire design is lightyears ahead of the older ones.

What is new about tracks is that it prevents the front of the blower from getting "lifted" while advancing. As Festerw said, you can scrape a driveway if you want (mine is gravel so that is pointless...)

I just wasn't ready to fork out another $2000 for the same snow removing ability. ;)

Ever notice why tanks have tracks? Because they are tanks. They go through everything.

So guess what: your new machine with tracks will be a tank!! :)

I was just looking at price points. I don't know what kind of a driveway you have nor the type/amount of snowfall. One thing is for sure. A Honda blower is about the best blower you can get on the market. Reliable, tough, reliable (did I mention reliable??). OFten around here when you're driving around after a storm and see snow getting thrown 50 feet up you think it is a farm tractor. upon arrival of that particular driveway you realize it is a honda snowblower!

Andrew
I have never been disappointed with any Honda power equipment. The engines are especially reliable. When I bought my generator (the one piece of equipment that must be most reliable, except for maybe an iron lung) I went for Honda.

I have not found a two-stage snowblower sold in a big box store that I would own.

Home Depot sells the exact same machines that local snowblower shops sell. IF the model number is the same, the machine is the same. SImple. And my local shop confirmed this to me (as did the representative for my province via my local shop).

However, HD certainly doesn't use certified techs/mechanics for assembly and testing before being sent out.

Just make sure the model number is the same if you wanted to buy at HD. They also ship for free if you don't have a local shop.

These are the only 2 stage blowers I would buy in a big box store.

Home Depot sells the exact same machines that local snowblower shops sell. IF the model number is the same, the machine is the same. SImple. And my local shop confirmed this to me (as did the representative for my province via my local shop).

However, HD certainly doesn't use certified techs/mechanics for assembly and testing before being sent out.

Just make sure the model number is the same if you wanted to buy at HD. They also ship for free if you don't have a local shop.

These are the only 2 stage blowers I would buy in a big box store.
Are we talking about Ariens machines?

And yes, thankfully, "special" box store models are much less common than ten years ago. Once the cat was out of the bag on that one, the junk disappeared rather quickly. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.